• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which team will win Super Bowl 50?

Which team will win Super Bowl 50?

• Poll closed .

Herschel

Adventurer
If Denver can exploit the Panthers' weak offensive tackles, the Broncos can win a low-scoring affair, but Mike Shula and Co. have been very good at scheming to cover Oher and Remmers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Right now, it is all over but for the crying- a Broncos win!

I think the Denver D won this game, but I don't know if it would have if not for some key Carolina miscues. (And I DO think the Panthers should have won that first replay challenge.)

was

Adventurer
..yeah, there's no doubt that Denver's defense won this game. They gave an awesome performance. I don't, however, think that this is a game to put on Peyton's highlight reel.

Herschel

Adventurer
Carolina's terrible O-line finally caught up to them and the defense couldn't bail them out, unlike Denver. Manning didn't do any more than Newton, he just didn't screw up as much.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Newton was slinging wild, to be sure, and combined with all those 2nd half false starts & personal fouls...they really couldn't get anything working. Mentally, they were OFF.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Denver had its fair share of dumb penalties as well. I don't think Cam was any better or worse than Manning, he just got the short end of the stick with his line not being able to stop Denver from manhandling him.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I don't, however, think that this is a game to put on Peyton's highlight reel.
Agreed. He was playing prevent defense (as in, prevent mistakes by not doing anything noteworthy) most of the last quarter. The only long pass I saw was for the 2-point conversion.

I also saw a close-up of Newton where he had a look on his face "THIS isn't supposed to be happening!" just after being sacked. Carolina seemed to lose their mental focus when they did not build a 50-point lead before halftime.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, pretty much my take. Not to diminish Denver's D- they were #1 for a reason- but I think Carolina's mental game went to pieces. They had beaten other highly ranked defenses in their path to SB50, but they simply didn't play the kind of game that got them there. Cam's arm was wild, they started making multiple dumb penalties- in crucial moments- that affected drives.

It is bad enough when you're facing the #1 D. It gets worse when you put yourself in situations that help that D pin their ears back and go for kill shots drive after drive.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads