D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Dark Sun and Planescape will get full setting guides, while Dragonlance will appear in the year’s likely adventure anthology, methinks.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Here's something that I don't think has been said yet: The "cameo" setting could be like how Greyhawk cameo'd in Ghost of Saltmarsh, just being the place that the adventures start in a future anthology book. So that could be a cameo of Sigil or the Rock of Bral as the starting place for a book of extra-planar/worldly adventures.

Any thoughts?

Scribe

Legend
Mystara's main draw for a lot of people is the diversity of its cultures. Karameikos is Byzantium occupied Serbia. Classic setting but keeping up the adventures there might prove tricky in the long run.

Mystara is the exploration heavy setting, it kept adding new areas for players to settle, conquer and colonize. Cutting down the number of available nations hurts the overall theme.
There's zero chance Wizards would touch those topics as of this year.

From a business standpoint I think the logical move is to go hard into Forgotten Realms with products for the next couple years. While I don't think selling more FR to people already playing the game will much help out sales of Baldur's Gate 3, FR Magic Cards, or tickets to see the major motion picture set there, all this Toril-based crossover media is, assuming reasonable success, going to drive more people into trying the game and, at least initially, expecting and wanting it to be the specic IP they were brought into, not another setting they don't know anything about with the same rule set. I know it's not what the average hardcore player is excited about, but WotC has already got their hooks in the average hardcore player, and the game's sales are riding high. Better to leave people pining for once popular settings until they need to actually cash in on that nostalgia and pent up demand to correct a sales slump.

At the extreme end of this I think given how disruptive adding a proper psionics system would be to the game, and how the Dark Sun setting (whether or not you think it really needs a full-fledged psionics system) was clearly designed to feature and boost interest in psionics, that the logical thing to do business-wise is save both for near the end of the system's lifespan when they need to shake things up and rely on the prestige of a long requested IP to gin up sales. So my prediction is that Dark Sun will make it to 5e, but only when they deem the system to be in its final waning years. I won't be surprised if it's the last thing they push before they start teasing 6e. And given the post-apocalyptic nature of the setting its a fitting note to end on.

Here's something that I don't think has been said yet: The "cameo" setting could be like how Greyhawk cameo'd in Ghost of Saltmarsh, just being the place that the adventures start in a future anthology book. So that could be a cameo of Sigil or the Rock of Bral as the starting place for a book of extra-planar/worldly adventures.

Any thoughts?

I think the cover with Boo and what looks like Planets and stuff tells us what the Camoe is going to be, Spelljammer in a Forgotten Realms adventure. It could be an anthology, but more likely it's a major adventure involving spelljammer, Lantan, and perhaps other FR locations.

Interesting side note the one video game Spelljammer got, Pirates of Realnspace was also a Forgotten Realms crossover (Realmspace being the space within the Forgotten Realms crystal sphere).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There's zero chance Wizards would touch those topics as of this year.
Yeah. This site already had the whole "you think Orcs are Black People" flamewar. Mystara basically says that certain D&D races are different groups of people from the real world by having their lands in the world being obviously based off of real world peoples. That's potentially even more problematic than the Vistani. I can't see WotC touching it with a 10-foot pole given the current direction of the game.

From a business standpoint I think the logical move is to go hard into Forgotten Realms with products for the next couple years. While I don't think selling more FR to people already playing the game will much help out sales of Baldur's Gate 3, FR Magic Cards, or tickets to see the major motion picture set there, all this Toril-based crossover media is, assuming reasonable success, going to drive more people into trying the game and, at least initially, expecting and wanting it to be the specic IP they were brought into, not another setting they don't know anything about with the same rule set. I know it's not what the average hardcore player is excited about, but WotC has already got their hooks in the average hardcore player, and the game's sales are riding high. Better to leave people pining for once popular settings until they need to actually cash in on that nostalgia and pent up demand to correct a sales slump.

At the extreme end of this I think given how disruptive adding a proper psionics system would be to the game, and how the Dark Sun setting (whether or not you think it really needs a full-fledged psionics system) was clearly designed to feature and boost interest in psionics, that the logical thing to do business-wise is save both for near the end of the system's lifespan when they need to shake things up and rely on the prestige of a long requested IP to gin up sales. So my prediction is that Dark Sun will make it to 5e, but only when they deem the system to be in its final waning years. I won't be surprised if it's the last thing they push before they start teasing 6e. And given the post-apocalyptic nature of the setting its a fitting note to end on.

This forum is not reflective of most players, WotC has straight up said the Forgotten Realms is their most popular setting, hence why it gets the MtG sets and movies and video games, they tried an Eberron MMO and they had to make portal to the Forgotten Realms to turn a profit.

Yeah. This site already had the whole "you think Orcs are Black People" flamewar. Mystara basically says that certain D&D races are different groups of people from the real world by having their lands in the world being obviously based off of real world peoples. That's potentially even more problematic than the Vistani. I can't see WotC touching it with a 10-foot pole given the current direction of the game.

Plus it's a Tier 3 setting, suggesting a Tier 2 setting is iffy as is, but a Tier 3 setting is silly no matter what it's place on current politics. It's all about the Tiers folks, it's about the Tiers. Tier 3 settings are worth consideration.

Remove ads