D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

With themes of conquest and colonization? Zero chance, come on. lol

It doesn't matter because it's Tier 3, no way a Tier 3 setting gets a setting book, they will do MtG and settings first, best Tier 3 setting get are camoes IF they are super fit a particular book, like Council of Wyrms in Fizbans. Poor Tier 3 setting get crumbs, it's unfair, but that is how it is, WotC is a business.

Scribe

Legend
It doesn't matter because it's Tier 3, no way a Tier 3 setting gets a setting book, they will do MtG and settings first, best Tier 3 setting get are camoes IF they are super fit a particular book, like Council of Wyrms in Fizbans. Poor Tier 3 setting get crumbs, it's unfair, but that is how it is, WotC is a business.
Dude you can push your Tier theory to the moon and back, it wouldnt matter if that was what FR was based on, it would NEVER be mentioned again in a Wizards Product published in the year 2021 or beyond.

You will never see 'Here's a setting based on colonization, ransacking, and conquering other people!' literally ever again, come out of Wizards, and any setting it is or was a part of, will be retconned (there is no canon remember) to the Nine Hells and back, if it ever did see print.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Sorry for my ignorance, but when talking about setting tiers, is Tier 1 best/high or worst/low?

They're referencing this; D&D Monthly Survey | Dungeons & Dragons

The popularity of settings in the survey fell into three distinct clusters. Not surprisingly, our most popular settings from prior editions landed at the top of the rankings, with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proving equally popular. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer all shared a similar level of second-tier popularity, followed by a fairly steep drop-off to the rest of the settings. My sense is that Spelljammer has often lagged behind the broad popularity of other settings, falling into love-it-or-hate-it status depending on personal tastes. Greyhawk and Dragonlance hew fairly close to the assumptions we used in creating the fifth edition rulebooks, making them much easier to run with material from past editions. Of the top five settings, four require significant new material to function and the fifth is by far our most popular world.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
They're referencing this; D&D Monthly Survey | Dungeons & Dragons

The popularity of settings in the survey fell into three distinct clusters. Not surprisingly, our most popular settings from prior editions landed at the top of the rankings, with Eberron, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Planescape, and the Forgotten Realms all proving equally popular. Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Spelljammer all shared a similar level of second-tier popularity, followed by a fairly steep drop-off to the rest of the settings. My sense is that Spelljammer has often lagged behind the broad popularity of other settings, falling into love-it-or-hate-it status depending on personal tastes. Greyhawk and Dragonlance hew fairly close to the assumptions we used in creating the fifth edition rulebooks, making them much easier to run with material from past editions. Of the top five settings, four require significant new material to function and the fifth is by far our most popular world.
Thanks!

Scribe

Legend
So, in my completely unbiased and objective estimation....

S Tier: Planescape.
A Tier: FR, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Eberron
B Tier:
C Tier: Greyhawk, Dragonlance
D Tier: Spelljammer
E Teir:
F Teir: Everything else.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I guess that I'll never get why setting fans are so insistent that everything about their pet setting needs to be covered to be worthwhile for either returning fans or newcomers to the setting.
I just want official Thri-Kreen player race stats, as I eternally huff the copium.

But yeah I suspect Dragonlance may make a showing, if only due to the novel. That's all I really can comment on.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Doesn't the movie take place in FR? If so, there is zero percent chance they don't release items related to that that year (when does it come out?). Seriously, no one is that bad at cross marketing (other than Disney not having baby yoda dolls ready). No one. 100% they do FR stuff the year the movie comes out.

Other than that? I want planejammer. And I kind of want something like what Monte Cook Games did with their 9th world, like Barrier Peaks in DnD......maybe Gamma World? I don't know, something different than normal fantasy. We have plenty of normal fantasy.

Dude you can push your Tier theory to the moon and back, it wouldnt matter if that was what FR was based on, it would NEVER be mentioned again in a Wizards Product published in the year 2021 or beyond.

You will never see 'Here's a setting based on colonization, ransacking, and conquering other people!' literally ever again, come out of Wizards, and any setting it is or was a part of, will be retconned (there is no canon remember) to the Nine Hells and back, if it ever did see print.

You do realize that one of the Domains in the recent Ravenloft setting book was explicitly, as stated in the text itself, based off colonization, ransacking, and conquering other people? And in fact, the one who resisted that invading enemy was the one who became the Lord of the Domain?

Scribe

Legend
You do realize that one of the Domains in the recent Ravenloft setting book was explicitly based off colonization, ransacking, and conquering other people?
Was it the players doing so, or like most of the Domains I skimmed through its quite clear that the Domains and those running them, are capital E, "Evil" and you as the player are meant to disrupt and/or stop those activities?

That is not the impression I get out of the setting that spawned this discussion.

Remove ads