D&D 5E Which three classic settings do you think WotC will publish in 2022-23? (Fixed)

Pick three and only three

• Planescape

Votes: 108 71.5%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 54 35.8%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 90 59.6%
  • Forgotten Realms (Faerun)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • Beyond Faerun (Al-Qadim, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc)

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • Mystara

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Birthright

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Ghostlight

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Pelinore

• Jakandor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dragon Fist

• Rokugan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other non-D&D setting (e.g. Gamma World, etc)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Don't Care/Whatever

Votes: 3 2.0%

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Dude you can push your Tier theory to the moon and back, it wouldnt matter if that was what FR was based on, it would NEVER be mentioned again in a Wizards Product published in the year 2021 or beyond.

You will never see 'Here's a setting based on colonization, ransacking, and conquering other people!' literally ever again, come out of Wizards, and any setting it is or was a part of, will be retconned (there is no canon remember) to the Nine Hells and back, if it ever did see print.
The game is about breaking into people’s homes, murdering them, rifling their pockets for change, searching and robbing their house, then finding another house to roll. D&D is a game about colonization, ransacking, and conquering.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So...

Tier 1: Eberron (done), Ravenloft (done twice), Dark Sun, Planescape, and FR (done to death).

Tier 2: Greyhawk (sorta done), Dragonlance, and Spelljammer (a few cameos).

Tier 3: Everything else.

If there’s two “new” classic settings next year, they’re almost certainly the remaining two Tier 1 settings. Planescape and Dark Sun. Dark Sun would match the comment about a scary place. The cameo could be any of the rest, but it’s likely Spelljammer as it’s already been featured the most without actually getting an adventure or setting book.

So that leaves the third “new” classic and the revisit. The revisit is still most likely FR. Which leaves Dragonlance or Spelljammer for the last “new” classic setting. I don’t know. After the DL lawsuit I can see WotC sour on the setting but they’re a business and nostalgia moves books. But the vast majority of current players are not long-time players. So which would be an easier sell to the modern fan? Between DL and Spelljammer...I gotta say the weirdness and goofiness of Spelljammer seems way more sellable. “D&D in Space...with guns” has more of an inherent difference and draw as a setting than “normal D&D with lots more dragons”.

Though the revisit could also be the rumored Exandria / CR anthology. Marisha Ray was supposed to be working on something with WotC but it seems to have disappeared from memory.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The game has not been about that for years. Might've started out about that, but isn't about that anymore.
The majority of the rules in the game are dedicated to murdering things (combat). There’s a core book dedicated to nothing but things to murder (MM). There are a dozen or so other books with collections of suggestions of different orders in which to murder things (modules). There’s an entire chapter dedicated to where and how much treasure adventurers should get after murdering...including random tables for just how much pocket change things you murder should have on them...along with other random tables for just how much treasure the family you just murdered had in their house. The designers are bending over backwards to pat themselves on the back and sell people on how cool and innovative Witchlight is because they...gasp...include non-violent solutions to conflicts. Think about that. Violence and violent solutions are so ingrained in the game and the player base that the designers think putting out a module with non-violent solutions is shockingly new and wildly innovative. Sorry, but your objection doesn’t hold water.

Scribe

Legend
The game is about breaking into people’s homes, murdering them, rifling their pockets for change, searching and robbing their house, then finding another house to roll. D&D is a game about colonization, ransacking, and conquering.
I believe things have expanded beyond that point. Not that they MUST but the official look from Wizards wants it to be more than that.

Mercurius

Legend
Ideally the game is about whatever you want it to be, although I can't remember a time where I played it as "colonizing and conquering." Usually there was some justification for killing things, beyond wanting their stuff, if only under the guise of "evil." But I've never played D&D in such a way that you go find a dragon who is nice or not bothering anyone, then kill it and take its hoard. Usually the dragon first took the hoard from a dwarven city it destroyed, or is currently terrorizing a region. Same with orcs; I've never played "let's go attack and kill that harmless orc village and rape the orc women and eat their babies." It has always been, "Orcs are marauding and attacking a defenseless village who call upon you to save them."

Now of course this approach misses nuance and isn't always grounded in realism. But it doesn't have to be. Fairy tales aren't, neither are myths and legends, or many epic tales, past and present. It is fantasy, and a game of myths and legends, archetype and imagination.

If you want to leaven your game with social and economic realism, more power to you. Maybe those orcs are marauding because their tribe is starving, and when the PCs find out, they're faced with a dilemma, a more complex problem to solve (can they find a way to facilitate the villagers and orcs peacefully co-existing?). Maybe when they get to the dragon's den, the dragon (believably) tells them that the hoard was reclaimed from the dwarves who stole it from her, while killing her baby dragons in the process.

Or maybe you don't want to play games that are based on combat at all. Maybe you want to play a pacifist cleric, who only heals or subdues, trying to re-channel and transform aggression and evil into peace and love. Nothing wrong with that.

All of the above implies: D&D is about a lot of things. In fact, it is about whatever you want it to be. That's the beauty of it. I'd suggest that we all stop insisting that it is only about a narrow band of things, things that we want it to be about. In truth, that is a rather colonial attitude: "Hey grog, no more senseless killing and meaningless adventure -- we're killing you and taking your stuff, because we find it offensive." The converse is also true, "Hey young 'un, your way of playing is silly and soft. There was a time when men were men, and women were women, and everything was clearly defined, with none of this funny business, which I don't want tainting my precious RPG books."

Personally speaking, I'm somewhere between. I am attracted to the mythic atmosphere of sword and sorcery, of fantasy lands dripping in forgotten history and arcane lore, with eldritch horrors, mysteries to be solved, adventure and, yes, combat as a major facet of the imaginative arena. But I also like a seasoning of complexity and nuance, that the monsters usually aren't just simplistic murder targets, but actually have their own ecology and raison d'etre. But yeah, sometimes they're demons from the Abyss, or a horde of undead, who just want to destroy everything in their path. But sometimes they're orcs with mouths to feed. I mean, maybe the orcs were pushed out of their homeland by elves, and are now trying to repeat the same to a local group of humans.

There are some aspects of D&D that are currently in vogue that I personally don't resonate with. I tend to cringe at the mention of the word "whimsy," generally don't like anthropomorphic races (except in rare occasions), and find that over-the-top thespianism generally isn't my cuppa. But I'm happy with the fact that WotC has broadened its umbrella to not merely accommodate, but support and encourage, a diversity of play styles, tropes, and character identities, especially when it means that more actual human beings can play the game.

I mean, via la difference! No?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No. It isn’t.

No one in my entire group has ever played D&D that way, for instance.

D&D is, especially these days, a game of heroic fantasy. Big damn heroes and (hopefully compelling) villains.

What new APs from Wizards have featured any PC-side colonization? Which feature any PC-side murder? Where is there any PC-side conquering going on? There isn’t any. For a reason.

Yaarel

He Mage
I expect Darksun and some kind of Faerun update for Forgotten Realms, specifically mentioning the new Drow cultures.

I feel a "Planescape" setting wont happen, but regional settings of it will happen, maybe a focus on Sigil, starjammer ships, and Astral Plane generally.

Dragonlance seems possible.

I feel a proto-D&D Blackmoor regional setting is an awesome way to channel old-school vibes. Blackmoor relates to the wider world of Mystara. Mystara is a landmine for reallife cultural sensitive issues, but perhaps is salvageable. Compare how some Magic The Gathering settings are also realworld-culture-esque. In any case, Blackmoor specifically as a region, is probably a fine way to present an update of Mystara.

I expect more Magic The Gathering settings, and am enjoying the ones we have so far, including Ravnica and soon Strixhaven. I would love for the modern near-future Japan-esque to make it into a D&D setting.

The majority of the rules in the game are dedicated to murdering things (combat). There’s a core book dedicated to nothing but things to murder (MM). There are a dozen or so other books with collections of suggestions of different orders in which to murder things (modules). There’s an entire chapter dedicated to where and how much treasure adventurers should get after murdering...including random tables for just how much pocket change things you murder should have on them...along with other random tables for just how much treasure the family you just murdered had in their house. The designers are bending over backwards to pat themselves on the back and sell people on how cool and innovative Witchlight is because they...gasp...include non-violent solutions to conflicts. Think about that. Violence and violent solutions are so ingrained in the game and the player base that the designers think putting out a module with non-violent solutions is shockingly new and wildly innovative. Sorry, but your objection doesn’t hold water.
Ideally the game is about whatever you want it to be, although I can't remember a time where I played it as "colonizing and conquering." Usually there was some justification for killing things, beyond wanting their stuff, if only under the guise of "evil." But I've never played D&D in such a way that you go find a dragon who is nice or not bothering anyone, then kill it and take its hoard. Usually the dragon first took the hoard from a dwarven city it destroyed, or is currently terrorizing a region. Same with orcs; I've never played "let's go attack and kill that harmless orc village and rape the orc women and eat their babies." It has always been, "Orcs are marauding and attacking a defenseless village who call upon you to save them."

I think this tension is longstanding within dnd. It is part a difference between sword&sorcery and high fantasy, but also pertains to the way that colonial scenarios are "justified" via an assumed moral lens, usually one connected to alignment. That is, in effect, the PCs are mercenaries for a colonial state, driven by greed, but their actions can also be glossed as defeating the forces of chaos and/or evil. The Keep on the Borderlands. (Incidentally this dynamic--exploitative violence dressed up as justice or as a "civilizing mission," is central to colonial ideology).

The essentials kit is interesting in this regard. Phandelver has, for me, the feel of a settler mining town from a Western, with some fantasy gloss. There's reference to ancient history, but no sense that the human locals have any primary claim to the land or the mines. The antagonists are all alignment-evil, but they also have more prosaic motivations, namely they've all been displaced and are in turn displacing others. For the most part what they are after is food and shelter. The only antagonist acting outside of these types of concerns is an cult of an evil storm god (that could probably be reskinned as druids). Probably the way that most groups play this adventure is to defeat an antagonist in combat, level up, then defeat the next most powerful antagonist, justifying all of it via the evil alignment, but non-colonial solutions are on the table.

Anyway when it comes to settings, I do think they will try for a non-colonial, non-orientalizing kara tur or zakhara, if not as a setting than as an adventure, just because of some things some of the writers for VRGtR were hinting at on twitter. Whatever settings they do, they will have to be marketable and tightly themed for new audiences

The more interesting question for me is: when are they going to run out of nostalgia and classic settings?

Remove ads