D&D 5E Which Urban Setting for D&D 5e?

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Yeah, i also think so. I like Cthulhu, but I'm not sure for some of my players. So it depends on how much Mythos is in there?
I thought it is mainly about pirates.

Freeport is fantastic, and Green Ronin is run by great people. There's a version that doesn't include any specific rules references just a range of descriptive character power for the NPCs. The setting has a pretty strong pirate vibe to it so keep that in mind as well. The Cthulu bit is more about the over all things man was not meant to know stuff, there's a number of watery mutant cults, and a few characters that went insane from reading certain books.

plancktum

First Post
Wow! Thanks for all the input! :) It helped me a lot!
Indeed, Ptolus looks amazing, but on the other hand it looks to much for me. I'm a little bit overwhelmed by this massive city!
I will definitely pit Ptolus on my RPG-List, but for the moment I will go with Freeport.

As I am not new to gamemastery, i'm quite new at using existing settings, adapt them and building in own ideas. Espacially I've never mastered urban campaings.
Ptolus might be too much at the moment for me (and my players). Particularly as I will put this city into the forgotten realms after playing Lost Mine of Phandelver.
Additionally I'm not sure how long we will play in the urban setting, as my players showed interest in the upcoming elemental evil story arc.

So, for now it's freeport, but one of my future campaings I will definitely use Ptolus! But first I want to collect more experience with urban campaings.

Again, thank you very much for all your posts! :)

But now I have a few Questions considering Freeport:

Freeport is fantastic, and Green Ronin is run by great people. There's a version that doesn't include any specific rules references just a range of descriptive character power for the NPCs. The setting has a pretty strong pirate vibe to it so keep that in mind as well. The Cthulu bit is more about the over all things man was not meant to know stuff, there's a number of watery mutant cults, and a few characters that went insane from reading certain books.
Do you think I should buy the new Pathfinder-Version? Anything I should keep in mind when using the book with D&D 5th Edition?
Any recommendation on how to get my players from the Sword Coast to freeport? I was thinking about placing freeport on an isle just outside the sword coast.

HEEGZ

First Post
I would do Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, or Neverwinter from the FR setting. I don't have any suggestions for other settings, unless you want to homebrew.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Do you think I should buy the new Pathfinder-Version? Anything I should keep in mind when using the book with D&D 5th Edition?
Any recommendation on how to get my players from the Sword Coast to freeport? I was thinking about placing freeport on an isle just outside the sword coast.

I wouldn't bother if you can get the game rules neutral one (which I bought). Unless you plan on using Pathfinder at some point there isn't much point. The rules neutral book I found much more useful since it describes characters in neutral terms as far as class and levels go. So a high level character in D&D is described as Master Level, while what would be a low level character would be Apprentice Level, character in the neutral language the book uses. The exact stats are up to you so there is a bit more work using the book on that front, but it lets you set how powerful a character should be on your own.

All that being said Freeport was original written for 3E D&D with a 3.5 update so the generalized power levels correspond to what I think most people would use for high or low level characters. As complete aside I've used Freeport with Mutants and Masterminds, and World of Freedom for M&M even has Freeport as a sample setting. So its very much portable to use and would probably work well in GURPS or any other rules without much trouble since a lot of what makes it great is tone, style, and characters rather than the rules.

edhel

Explorer
My suggestions in order:
1) Baldur's Gate (someone already mentioned Murder in Baldur's Gate which is a great overview of the city, and it's very easy to expand it to your own thing)
2) Neverwinter (there's a good 4E book you can use, and it's near Phandelver if I remember correctly)
3) Vornheim (make it your own - it's a toolkit)
4) Sharn (from the Eberron setting)

0) Make your own original city.

I wouldn't suggest using anything expensive since there is very little you can get out of those kinds of books. They hold an unmanageable amount of (mostly useless) information and you'll feed tied to what is already written about the city.

damnbul

First Post
I see you have decided on Freeport. I will suggest anyway.
I say Waterdeep, in Forgotten Realms. Has quite a bit, including the maps, for free online. Typing in waterdeep on Google will pretty much set you on any person, place, history...etc located in the city.
Plus a good number of adventures created for 5th edition has to do with that area. So its very easy to tie that city into any adventure (not that another city would be any more difficult).

plancktum

First Post
Hey.

Thanks again for all of your input! :)

Now, as I find Freeport still really nice and I love the swashbuckling style of game, I'm thinking about using Neverwinter instead of Freeport.
I've found out that there is the "Neverwinter Campaign Setting" Book from 4th Edition. I've taken a look at that book, but I'm not sure if I like it...

Pro Neverwinter:
-I'm already playing in that region with Lost Mine of Phandelver.
-It's in the Forgotten Realms and is not that a break with the world.
Contra:
-It does not seems that detailed like Freeport.
-The Book seems not to have that many plot hooks (at first glance, but maybe I'm wrong)
-Not sure if I like it as a GM

Pro Freeport:
-Very detailed
-It's a little bit disjunct from the forgotten realms, which means I can focus completely on the city
Contra:
-Not near Phandalin (but I think it's easy enough to get my players there)
-Not sure if my players like it

Waterdeep also catched my interest, but I've looked into the Waterdeep-Book from 3e from a friend, and the book does not inspire me enough.
And most importantly I need a good "book" (or pdf) to look into. I do not like to have too much information splittered around the internet or multiple books.

So... What do you recommend? What do you think?
Neverwinter or Freeport?
Maybe starting in Freeport to see how it goes? Or the other way around? A mixture of Both?
I'm open for your suggestions :)

best regards

P.s.: Should I put this question into a new thread?

Gecko85

Explorer
Combine both. Stick with Neverwinter for the reasons you stated, but borrow some details and plot hooks from Freeport. I borrow stuff all the time from one place to another - really easy to do in cities. Have a favorite tavern from one setting? Use it in whatever setting you're currently playing.

Remove ads