D&D 5E Which version of D&D would you like 5E to resemble most? (poll version)

Which version(s) of D&D would you like 5E to resemble most?

• OD&D

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • OD&D with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • AD&D

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • AD&D with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 69 39.2%
  • BECMI

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • BECMI with unified, d20 mechanics

Votes: 49 27.8%
  • 3rd Edition

Votes: 51 29.0%
  • 4th Edition

Votes: 74 42.0%

• Poll closed .

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
None of the Above.

I want the 5E base game to be a distilled, simple, base D20 system. Not 4E, not 3E, but a base system that resembles both, and can easily work for character and play styles from all editions.

Rechan

Adventurer
Like others, I think it would be best if it was not mostly like anything else. That would be best for unification.

But what I personally would prefer would be 4e and BECMI with a universal d20 mechanic. That's how I voted.

Tallifer

Hero
I finally started to actually play in a Pathfinder Campaign. I enjoy it, but it confirms my strong preference for the Fourth Edition. (Of course actually I prefer Pendragon and Call of Cthulhu, but this is a question about D&D. Not do I want to play Pendragon and Cthulhu in D&D: let each system do what it does best.)

Of course if the Fifth Edition becomes too much like the Old School renaissance or the Third Edition, I will not complain. I will just continue to play the Fourth.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Without hesitation, I voted BECM. It was the first edition of D&D that I ever played, it was the first that I ever got to DM, and it remains the very definition of "what D&D means to me." If I could get some unified d20 mechanics in it, with an updated Mystara campaign sourcebook, I would not only buy it...I would buy stock in the company.

However, I think in reality it'll look a lot like BECMI with 3e and 4e add-on modules to taste.
This would make me a very happy geek. B-)

Last edited:

Ahnehnois

First Post
I voted 3e, because of the stated attempt to unify everyone and allow every type of game. The active 3e period, particularly shortly after its release, is probably the most unified the gaming community has been (at least, since the infancy of the game when there was only one rpg), and there's a reason why. The 3.X mentality was fairly modular, and allowed for a wide variety of styles. Hopefully we will indeed see the return of the "toolbox", albeit one with slightly more refined tools.

Raith5

Adventurer
I have played and enjoyed all these versions at some point but 4th ed for me is the most fun. I have found it simpler that 3rd ed, a longer sweet spot that other version of D and D and a lot of fun at the table with everyone contributing in different (but vaguely balanced) ways.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I'd prefer a pre-3E system, but with many cleaned up and more balanced mechanics. Many of the 3E and 4E "problem areas of previous versions" could be fixed without straying so far from the roots of the game in the name of "progress".

If powers, feats, prestige/paragon/epic classes, and (4E) rituals went away, I wouldn't shed a tear. I consider this moving forward, just not in the directions from the last decade+. It would be nice to go into a new direction derived heavily on what D&D was meant to be (for 2.5 decades) and not on what it has morphed into.

I think such a version would be a great tribute to Gary as well.

Remove ads