Votes: 37 41.1%
  • Tabletop Simulator

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 16 17.8%

payn

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Can players draw a map that is theirs?
Im sure they can, or could, its certainly possible. I dont know of anything that exists outside the crudest form, which is what I'm getting at. You, or somebody, could certainly make this happen in a way that isnt a PITA.

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
I want the players to have to map.
If the players draw maps I guess there's lots of theatre of the mind going on? In Foundry, isn't the easiest solution that you have a scene with a tight square grid where the players draw their map, and then a blank squared battle map scene where you draw the room or whatnot where the battle take place? Just like you do on a Chessex mat or the like when playing in persona.

Edit: As an easy solution if you're not a coding wizard.

payn

If the players draw maps I guess there's lots of theatre of the mind going on? In Foundry, isn't the easiest solution that you have a scene with a tight square grid where the players draw their map, and then a blank squared battle map scene where you draw the room or whatnot where the battle take place? Just like you do on a Chessex mat or the like when playing in persona.

Edit: As an easy solution if you're not a coding wizard.
Yeah, I guess you just start with a blank square or hex map. Players draw it as they go. Switch scenes to a detailed map for an encounter the GM made ahead of time. Switch back to player drawn map afterwards.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, I guess you just start with a blank square or hex map. Players draw it as they go. Switch scenes to a detailed map for an encounter the GM made ahead of time. Switch back to player drawn map afterwards.

Do players routinely have access to the drawing tools in other VTTs? I'm not sure they do with Maptool (I'm not sure they don't, either; its never come up).

payn

Do players routinely have access to the drawing tools in other VTTs? I'm not sure they do with Maptool (I'm not sure they don't, either; its never come up).
I think so. I know roll20 and Foundry allow them. My take is it would be laborious and crud with the current state of draw tools in R20 and Foundry. Perhaps something that allows to drop shapes like squares, circles, etc.. would be nice.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I think so. I know roll20 and Foundry allow them. My take is it would be laborious and crud with the current state of draw tools in R20 and Foundry. Perhaps something that allows to drop shapes like squares, circles, etc.. would be nice.

The one in Maptool would work to a point (its not terrible if you're just drawing straight lines), but gods help you the minute you had anything that needed an arc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads