D&D 5E Which way to go with pole arm build?

houser2112

Explorer
In the PHB Errata, the Spear was added to the Polearm Mastery feat.
Link?

If a spear is now a polearm, it might be worth giving up 2 average damage (which you could make up by taking the Dueling style, and the shield more than covers losing the Defense style that I would normally recommend). You're giving up GWM since a spear isn't Heavy, though. You could take Spear Mastery (UA 20160606) in its place, though, giving you +1 to hit, a die increase to d8, and the ability to get reach by using your bonus action.

Intriguing, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up GWM.

TBH, I wouldn't bother with a polearm build in 5e (or 4e, or TSR era) ...
I'd save it for the next time I get invited to a 3.5 game.
Sarcasm? Polearms were rather crappy in 3.5 since you couldn't attack adjacent squares.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yeah, I briefly played a BM fighter with a spear and shield combo and PAM and it was very effective. Getting a bonus attack every round and having the protection of a shield with dueling fighting style was very effective.

Yeah, I briefly played a BM fighter with a spear and shield combo and PAM and it was very effective. Getting a bonus attack every round and having the protection of a shield with dueling fighting style was very effective.
I did the same with a quarterstaff before I learned of the errata. Unfortunately, the shame and revulsion of using a quarterstaff one-handed built up until I just couldn't take it any more.

Shiroiken

Legend
Had a variant human paladin use PAM that was fairly effective. The reaction attack allowed him to take another action against fliers (a notorious enemy of the paladin), and the bonus action attack gave him an extra chance for smite. Probably not the most optimal, but it was fun for him to play.

akr71

Hero
The bugbear sounds fun. I have a hobgoblin halberd wielding battle master that I use in one shots and occasional side games and he is a lot of fun.

However, the human battle master is what I would likely choose.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases