D&D 5E Which way to go with pole arm build?

houser2112

Explorer
Yeah, nevermind Combat Reflexes or Improved Trip or Spring Attack & WWA....
I'll give you Whirlwind Attack, but the other feats don't buy much for the polearm wielder in particular.

Combat Reflexes - Allows you more flexibility in fighting defensively. Nothing that benefits polearms in particular. Did you include it because it's a prereq for all the other feats you mention, or is there some other nuance I'm missing?
Improved Trip - The best part of this feat is not provoking AOO when attempting a trip, but it's specifically "while you are unarmed". Also, having reach means you can make melee attacks outside the reach of most Medium creatures, obviating the need to be able to attempt trips AOO-free. Attempting to trip a creature with a natural reach > 5' (Large or larger) is probably not a good idea considering the penalties.
Spring Attack - The feat that enables 5E style movement before and after an attack. Having reach means you can make melee attacks outside the reach of most Medium creatures, obviating the need to have a way of attacking them and ending your turn outside their reach.

What am I missing about these feats?

Tony Vargas

Legend
You may be thinking PF1, which fixed some of the cheese (OTOH, CMB/CMD was really nice for fighter builds, polearm included, in other ways - especially those annoying acrobats)

I'll give you Whirlwind Attack, but the other feats don't buy much for the polearm wielder in particular.
The WWA was really off the hook with Spiked Chain, of course, but I found polearms more dignified. ;)

What am I missing about these feats?

Combat Reflexes - Allows you more flexibility in fighting defensively. Nothing that benefits polearms in particular. Did you include it because it's a prereq for all the other feats you mention, or is there some other nuance I'm missing?
Multiple AoOs. Not just one Reaction (and, really, that's the thing holding back the build in 5e). You may be thinking of (Combat) Expertise, which let you trade BaB for AC, also part of the build, also handy when you're not making iterative attacks. Or you may even be thinking of Uncanny Dodge (Rogue/Barbarian feature), not part of the build unless you go out of your way, but also nice to have.

Improved Trip - The best part of this feat is not provoking AOO when attempting a trip
Free follow-up attack on the vicitim you just tripped, AoO when he gets up. (Some DMs wisely ruled you couldn't trip on the AoO for standing, otherwise, some very ripe cheese, there.)

Spring Attack - The feat that enables 5E style movement before and after an attack.
Without provoking.
Having reach means you can make melee attacks outside the reach of most Medium creatures, obviating the need to have a way of attacking them and ending your turn outside their reach.
Remember that whole can't attack adjacent? When some poor sucker does run the gauntlet and get next to you, you can Spring Attack him and end with him needing to close again.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Get weird with it. Go with a Hexblade warlock, and choose Pact of the Blade. Wield a giant scythe (treat as a glaive) in combat. Take the Polearm Master feat, or Sentinel.

houser2112

Explorer
You may be thinking PF1, which fixed some of the cheese (OTOH, CMB/CMD was really nice for fighter builds, polearm included, in other ways - especially those annoying acrobats)

I wasn't, but I only ever played one character in 3.PF that would stoop to engaging in melee (a dwarf cleric), and I guess I was fortunate to never be exposed to the cheese by fellow players either.

Multiple AoOs. Not just one Reaction (and, really, that's the thing holding back the build in 5e). You may be thinking of (Combat) Expertise, which let you trade BaB for AC, also part of the build, also handy when you're not making iterative attacks. Or you may even be thinking of Uncanny Dodge (Rogue/Barbarian feature), not part of the build unless you go out of your way, but also nice to have.

You're right, I was thinking of Combat Expertise. Silly me.

Free follow-up attack on the vicitim you just tripped, AoO when he gets up. (Some DMs wisely ruled you couldn't trip on the AoO for standing, otherwise, some very ripe cheese, there.)

That is lame. Clearly I have a lot to learn about melee optimization in 3.x. The only time I ever saw tripping done in 3.x was by a monk, and he sucked at it (not sure if he was just a bad character builder or if trying to do it on the monk chassis is the reason).

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
If what you care about the most is maximizing polearms I'd lean toward the human fighter to get everything online as fast as possible.

The bugbear seems strong, but I think the extra feat from human is better.

Extra healing and burst damage from smites on paladin are nothing to sneeze at. But there's no real synergy with polearms until level 11 when you get improved smite to add to your bonus action attack. You can kinda get a bit more out of divine favour with PAM but not on the first turn since it casts as a bonus action.

Remove ads