• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

Felon

First Post
KenM said:
I have an email from someone that helped develop 3rd ed. He basically said that that the WOTC buisiness people "drove" them to put out a revsion when they did. So it was money that pushed out 3.$, nothing else.
Ranger REG said:
Sheesh! Yet another brilliant business decision they've made to go along with choosing Rokugan for the new Oriental Adventures and putting new Star Wars d20 RPG products on hold. Where's that damn rolling eyes smiley when you need one here?

Right, let's restore the rolling eyes smiley to help you rail against the second-hand heresay about some alleged email some anonymous bloke wrote.

Deep, cleansing breaths now.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
It's always difficult for me to make a transition if there is lots of great supporting material and a new edition comes out without great backwards compatability.

4e would have to be some combination of extremely awesome or extremely backwards compatable for me to adopt it wholesale. Otherwise, I have so much stuff for 3.x, that I could see myself running it for a long time without running out of things to do.

serleran

First Post
I abandoned WotC when they announced the release of 3.5. 4th edition would have to be a complete reversal in design philosophy for me to even bother with picking it up.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
I never picked up 3.5 as I felt for my purposes 3 was perfectly fine.

Though I can't help but notice that there seems to be at least once a week some kind of thread that talks about 4th ed or something like that. Are you guys starting these threads getting kick backs or something?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
JoeGKushner said:
At least that's how I see it. Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't expect D&D to handle pulp fiction at it's core. It's unrealistic. Even in AD&D 1st ed, the magic was too high and the monsters too fantastic.

No game handles fiction well. The two experiences are completely different.

Games elements can be inspired by fiction, but an accurate representation of a particular fictional work? Not a chance.

Games require some sense of balance between participants that is pretty much lacking from fantasy fiction. Consider also the trouble that WEG and WotC have had making a Star Wars game where Jedi don't dominate... and then compare that to the Star Wars movies where it is utterly obvious that the Jedi are the dominant characters.

A game has to work with a set of core assumptions and build itself around them.

Cheers!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Felon said:
"In your face", huh? So it's not just high fantasy, it's extreme fantasy. Which is what I said about Eberron before. So why isn't it what I think it is?

Only in the context of the backdrop. Lightning rails, airships, towers as tall as sky scrapers. In many ways, its like Star Wars is to Star Trek. Star Trek is somewhat of a logical coninuation from where we are now, whereas Star Wars has no connections to us while still being somewhat within the realm of science fiction. Its a blending of the genres. Eberron too is a blending of the genres, and I personally like the outcome. The game itself is still definitely D&D. I really don't see it as Extreme D&D, its just another vision of a world where D&D fits. YMMV.

diaglo

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
Not really. IIRC, despite his preference for OD&D that he don't mind reminding us almost everyday here (whether we like it or not), diaglo still plays the most recent edition.

If I retire, if I make that decision to retire my hobby, I will retire completely.

not just cuz we are both filipinos....

you can read about it in the story hour in my sig.

we've even converted to 3.11ed for workgroups.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I honestly can't believe I'm about to say this, but unless 4E looks more like Castles and Crusades than 3rd edition on Steroids, I totally won't be getting it.

I want less rules. Playing as much Round-Robin as I did at Gen Con, I can certainly appreciate and understand the beauty of something where simplicity and pace rules. 3rd edition is so totally *not* that game, but everyone knows it, so it works well enough.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Keeper of Secrets said:
Though I can't help but notice that there seems to be at least once a week some kind of thread that talks about 4th ed or something like that. Are you guys starting these threads getting kick backs or something?

Uh-oh...he's on to us... :uhoh:

Remove ads