D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

BryonD

Hero
3E brought me back to D&D.
3.5 improved it.

Whenever 4E comes out, if I switch over it will be with a smile on my face because 4E will have to be awesome to get me to switch.

If 4E comes out and it isn't good enough to pull me over, I'll still have a smile on my face because there is already plenty out there to keep me in campaign arcs until I'm dead.
Pretty dead on. Right down to the preemptive defense of 3E. :)

Psion

Adventurer
It's always difficult for me to make a transition if there is lots of great supporting material and a new edition comes out without great backwards compatability.

4e would have to be some combination of extremely awesome or extremely backwards compatable for me to adopt it wholesale. Otherwise, I have so much stuff for 3.x, that I could see myself running it for a long time without running out of things to do.

Backwards compatibility was worse than any previous edition transition, and from my standpoint 4e lacks awesomeness. And here I am.

Henry

Autoexreginated
If it actually looks good, then I'm in.

If it diverges WAAAY too much from 3E, then I don't know if I will, because 3.5 is damned near perfect. (For reference I call 3.0 and 3.5 '3E'.)

If they create a separate set of consistent "DM rules" for NPCs that was both simplified AND balanced with respect to the PC creation options, then I'm definitely in.

I was both right and wrong. :)

3.5 was nearly perfect, especially for players... until I started running high-level games later that year. Then was when I started frustrated with some elements. Under 10th level, I still could run D&D with the supplements that were out right after that time that year, with few problems.

Their work with the NPC & Monster rules and for encounter design were, indeed, the main thing that got me interested in the rules.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Looks like I never posted in this thread the first time around and I still don't post in 4E threads, so I am nothing if not consistent. ;)

Except for this time. . . ;)

Insufficient data for a meaningful response.
Data has been collated. I still haven't actually PLAYED 4E, but I'd like to give it a try. However, I have no interest WHATSOEVER in running it.

My edition of choice is rather undefined though. I don't feel a need to ever revisit 3rd Edition. My reflexive response is to advocate 1st Edition, but never actually as-written. What I've got prepared for my own DMing is a rather heavily house-ruled version that is at least BASED on 1E but pulls in elements and influences from 2E, 3E, even 4E and OD&D.

delericho

Legend
I will almost certainly switch over to 4e on the day of release.

Oh, I was way wrong.

I didn't pick up the 4e core rulebooks until some days after release, the next time I happened to be passing my FLGS. And I still haven't played the game. As a consequence of this, whether we switch to 4e at all remains very uncertain.

Ottergame

First Post
Had I replied to this in 2005, I would have likely said something along the lines of "I am very happy with 3.5, if it comes out before 2010 I'll be pissed. 3.5 runs great! I can run the game with all the supplements, I know the rules so well."

Then I tried to run a game in 2006 that was going to reach level 20, and above. That was when I soured on 3.5.

And that was before the supplement crunch. I could have run a game in 2005 with all the books, but after that? I could never keep up with new things, and finally started running my games all "core books only".

Damn, apparently I didn't post in this thread. I suppose my thought at that time might have been "far too early to say anything, this 4E rumormonging makes me crazy". ;)

I began deserting D&D as a DM by running Iron Heroes (which I found easier and more rewarding), but I am back now with 4E (which I find even easier and more rewarding) ;).

Remove ads