D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

The Shaman

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Yet ironically enough, without 3e and the OGL thing, there woudl be no C&C.
The fact that I think that the current incarnation D&D sucks 18-lb. bowling balls through a soda straw has no bearing on d20 games as a whole.

While d20 was introduced piggybacked on the most popular roleplaying game of all time in order to take advantage of two decades of branding, it is not exclusive to the game of Dungeons and Dragons.

In my mind the only irony is that the task resolution system is better than the window dressing, IMO.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Will I desert D&D on 4e? Probably, but it remains to be seen. Now that my favorite Fantasy RPG of all time is back and being supported (Warhammer) I dont have a compelling reason at the moment to sink my money into more WOTC stuff, unless they release more Star Wars D20 material. My Modern military game is converting to Spycraft 2.0, my Fantasy gaming is covered by C&C and Warhammer; with some 3.5 thrown in to placate some of my die-hard D&Ders. If 4e simplifies the mechanics a bit without taking away a lot of the customization options (tall order, I know) then I will find it worth a look. See TRUE20 for a good starting point as to how this can be done. If it weren't for Spycraft 2.0 being so badass I would easily convert to TRUE20 instead for my modern games. Fear not, Green Ronin, you will still be getting my dollars because of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay! :D

Roadkill101

Explorer
As a GM I deserted D&D several years before 3.0 and designed my own point buy system (I was working a mandatory 60-70 hours a week, with little to do at work but sit around waiting for something to breakdown, and had few opportunittes to actually socialize and game). But still, I bought the core 3.0 books (and upgraded to 3.5 by downloading the SRD for 3.5) plus the FRCS. I'd buy the 4th edition core books (whenever they get released, assuming there is a 4th edition), just for completeness of my gaming library, and to see what changes were made to the game wether or not I ever use it.
As a player, I use the 3.x rules or whatever rules edition the GM is using, so I've another reason to buy any 4th edition books.

Spell

First Post
if it's less rule heavy, or if it has the option to be run as a rule light system, i might be buying it. else, adios.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
The more I think about it, the more I'll stick with 3E. With 3E combined with D20/OGL I have everything I've ever wanted in a game system. I can play fantasy, modern, sci-fi, sci-fantasy, super-heroes, horror, and western all in a system I know well and like alot. Plus, it's modular enough that I can mix and match to my heart's desire. Wookie Jedi Knights leading a bad of Green Berets against a band of Half-Dragon Ninja Cyborgs trying to blow up the Babylon 5 station: Got it. (Not that I really would do that, but it illustrates my point.) I play D20 Modern a lot more now, but I use just about everything in my collection at one point or another. There's a little conversion to be done for certain, but not as much as I would have to do if I was still playing 2E. Since it doesn't look like there will be any Star Wars material updated along with 4E and I doubt that Farscape, Darwin's World 2, Babylon 5, and so on will be available for the new ruleset unless I convert it myself or wait on others to do so, it makes me want to switch to a new edition even less. I'm content right now in my gaming in a way that I haven't been in my 15 or so years of gaming.

4E, whenever it comes out, will likely not get my gaming dollar unless the whole lot of D20/OGL books go with it. I don't see that happening in any way, shape, or form, so I'm going to stay put. I'm sure that at least for a while, the 3rd party market will continue to support the current edition, so I'll still get some new material. Once that stops, oh well, I still have more than enough to game with for decades to come.

Kane

Yeoman

First Post
Right now, I can't imagine what could be made better for a new edition anyway, so my current stance is, no I would not upgrade to 4.0 in 6-7 years. But things may change between now and then. The only thing I know for certain is that if it went a to a rules light system, or a full point buy system I'd never upgrade to it. I hate both of those types of systems.

Remove ads