• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

TiQuinn

I would probably buy it eventually. Whether I played it or not would depend on what changes are made, and whether there's any interest in my group to switch over.

Sketchpad

Explorer
Personally I've always been reluctant to buy-in to 3e ... I like it, but I'd like it better if it were affordable and other parts of d20 were supported by WotC (*cough*StarWars*cough*) ... mind you, I also kinda dug a few games that were right before 3e and would've liked to see them stay ... games like Alternity or Marvel Saga ...

Ranger REG

Explorer
Masked Otaku said:
Well it depends how fast sales of 3.5 fall off. We may see it sooner than later.
Then I will retire sooner. There was a time in my life where I thought I could play RPG until my last breath, but now at 36, the thought don't seem realistic.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
4E (which doesn't appear to be on the radar by any means yet) would have to be a a major improvement over 3/3.5E to get me to switch. I don't really see how much they could improve it beyond what it is now. (Like Henry, this edition is about as close to perfection as I've ever gotten out of a system.) Even then, I'm getting too old and have too many other financial responsibilities to go after another edition. I'll stick with what I've got now and convert anything that I find to be of value.

Kane

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
It's going to be interesting to see what happens when 4E releases.

If it's a radical change that nullifies the value of my current collection, then it had better be as good as the change from 2.0 to 3.0 to make me follow. I'd be very impressed if that were to happen.

Reading some of Monte Cook's comments about design of 3E has been very enlightening - especially his discussions about D&D "icons" if you will, such as hit points, 3-18 ability score spread (vs. just +1, +2, etc.), magic missile always hitting, etc.

If those icons were to go away, and I no longer feel connected to the game that sparked my imagination all those years ago as a 10-year old kid, then I will most-likely not play a new edition.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I asked my magic 8-ball and it told me that I won't be a deserter at 4e. At 5e the answer is not clear. I will desert for sure by 6e, but will come back when 7e rolls around because they will finally solve the problem of the uber-class Bard that they created in 5e, and at that time E-tools will finally deliver all its originally promised functionality and be available for Mac users.

JoeGKushner

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
Only if they switch to an all skills and powers/point buy system that does away with the archetypal classes.

Hero

GURPS

Tri Stat

Mutants & Masterminds

D&D is meant for classes and levels.

Remove ads