• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Who else is going to be a deserter when 4e comes out?

Quasqueton

First Post
Someone explain this thinking to me:

If WotC puts out a new edition of D&D that you don't like/agree with, you'll leave D&D completely? Even though you don't have to buy it, don't have to play it, don't have to stop playing whatever edition you are currently playing?

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Quasqueton

JoeGKushner

First Post
Quasqueton said:

If WotC puts out a new edition of D&D that you don't like/agree with, you'll leave D&D completely? Even though you don't have to buy it, don't have to play it, don't have to stop playing whatever edition you are currently playing?

Quasqueton

Don't you know that it's better for the whole world if WoTC, when faced with the financial decesion to make a new edition, simply closes it's doors to avoid these types of questions?

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Quasqueton said:

Quasqueton

That sort of thinking goes hand in hand with the gamers who say that they can't keep playing because there are no new supplements for their favorite game. To me, that shows lack of creativity. If WotC were to blow up today and never, ever, ever put out another page, it wouldn't stop me from playing my favorite game. I buy supplements because I think they're cool; not because they're needed.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
DungeonmasterCal said:
That sort of thinking goes hand in hand with the gamers who say that they can't keep playing because there are no new supplements for their favorite game. To me, that shows lack of creativity. If WotC were to blow up today and never, ever, ever put out another page, it wouldn't stop me from playing my favorite game. I buy supplements because I think they're cool; not because they're needed.

Quoted for truth.

I'm all for staying put with the current edition, but to stop playing D&D just because there's nothing new on the horizon? That has never made any sense to me.

Kane

Turjan

Explorer
As to the original question, I have to say no. I won't desert roleplaying because a company decides to publish a new version of D&D.

Whether I will buy D&D 4e when it comes out or not is a question I honestly cannot answer. I'd probably buy the core books, just to see how it looks like. I do this with other games, too, so I don't think it would be different this case.

Whether I will switch editions in actual play is a completely different question. If I'd be able to answer questions like how the rules of 4E will look like, I'd probably be a millionaire by now ;).

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Ranger REG said:
2010, I will retire my RPG hobby without hesitation and sell/give away all my games. The videogame (or TCG) mentality have taken over the RPG industry. Sooner or later, we may see new editions of D&D coming every year, reaching two digits before 2020 ("D&D 14.0e").

Couldn't you just keep playing 3rd edition?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads