D&D General Who Invents Spells, and How Old Are They

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It isn't about "comfort". I'm comfortable doing so. I just don't want to, when there's better systems to do it in. Like, if tree falls in my yard, I'm comfortable using a hand saw to take it apart, but I don't want to do that when I can use a chainsaw, which is better designed for the purpose.
Okay, then replace comfortable with a different word.
If it has no mechanical impact, the GM doesn't need to be involved. I encourage my players to make up setting information, so long as it has no mechanical impact.
Eh, okay. I keep getting the vibe that you’re taking this personally, and I’d rather not continue the interaction.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Okay, then replace comfortable with a different word.

I thought I just replaced it with "I don't want to"?

Eh, okay. I keep getting the vibe that you’re taking this personally, and I’d rather not continue the interaction.

Well, I did give some pushback on the "comfortable" because it was ascribing a mental state to me that seemed kind of judgmental.

But this one, I have no idea where you got that I was taking it personally. I was indicating the technique I use instead. Putting together an exploration of magic that doesn't actually do anything seems like a poor choice of priorities, when my players can, and do, do it without my interference. Similarly, I allow them to build out elements of their character's culture, so long as it doesn't muck with plots in motion or contradict established canon of the game.

All that said, I'm fine if you don't want to continue.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
This question fundamentally points to the flaw around the D&D magic system; at least as it relates to any deeper thikiing about the fiction surrounding mechanics

I personally like the Freebooters on the Frontier approach to magic - big lists of keywords that can be combined into near infinite combinations of spell names. It is then up to the caster to come up with effects that fictionally work within the spell name

Remove ads