D&D 5E Who is best in damage output Barbarians? Monks?

Jushirambo

Villager
Hello everyone, i post a video in my channe talking about damage output of barbarians and monks, but which class is better at causing damage and why?

This is the video I was talking about (Portuguese content, because i'm Brazilian):

Undrave

Legend
I'm gonna say Barbarian is way better. It doesn't take as much work to have solid damage output, while the Monk relies too much on juggling your ki points and not using all your cool abilities JUST to reach decent damage with Flurry of Blows. The moment you need your Bonus Action for something other than attacking (hello Shadow Monk) , or spend Ki on something useful but non-damaging (Hey Quivering Palm!) your DPS just drops like a Rock Golem on a frozen lake. The Monk is also too frail so they end up spending Ki on stuff like Dodge or Disengage to survive, costing them DPS.

Jushirambo

Villager
I'm gonna say Barbarian is way better. It doesn't take as much work to have solid damage output, while the Monk relies too much on juggling your ki points and not using all your cool abilities JUST to reach decent damage with Flurry of Blows. The moment you need your Bonus Action for something other than attacking (hello Shadow Monk) , or spend Ki on something useful but non-damaging (Hey Quivering Palm!) your DPS just drops like a Rock Golem on a frozen lake. The Monk is also too frail so they end up spending Ki on stuff like Dodge or Disengage to survive, costing them DPS.

With Magic initiate and Sentinel the number of attacks and damage grows.

Doesn't it pay off?

Dausuul

Legend
With Magic initiate and Sentinel the number of attacks and damage grows.

Doesn't it pay off?
If you are allowed feats, then you have to allow them to the barbarian as well. GWM and/or Polearm Mastery blow the monk out of the water. Both are powerhouse feats to begin with, and they combine beautifully with barbarian class features: GWM with Reckless Attack, and Polearm Mastery with the flat damage bonus from rage.

Coroc

Hero
In fact, Rangers have a good damage output? I saw some comments about this
with sharpshooter on colossus slayer and hunters mark you dish out a few.
but that requires you to have advantage or bless so that you actually hit with ss.
and folks do not discuss me on that i play a ranger now since some time and that is my experience. Ss always on means your dm does worse than he could. I can use it about 40% of the time.

Remove ads