• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who "Owns" Old PC's?

Oaken25

First Post
Heya,

Here's a question that came up today, and it's some thing ive never run into before. I always usually keep old PC's and turn them into NPC's when the game is over or the player no longer wishes to play. And I was going to do this again with a PC that droped out of the online game they were playing in, but since I still talk to this person they asked me to remove thier PC totally from the game and not make it a NPC cause the name they used for the PC is special to them.

I told them that I wouldn't use it unless I really had to, or it might never be used as a NPC at all, or it would be maybe used a game that is played years from now, but they still were not happy with that cause of the name situation. Yes, I could have not been so defensive about it but as I said I reuse PC's as NPC's and it was a interesting character.

So what do you all think? After a game ends does the DM have the right to reuse old PC's and turn them into NPC's, or should they all PC's just be left out of the game world and ignored? Or does the player have the last say in how thier chars are used even though they no longer play in the game? Or both? And yes I posted this on the WOTC boards also but wanted to see what people would say over here also.

Dungannon

First Post
IMHO, if the player creates the character, especially a first-level one they plan on building up, then they "own" the character regardless of what happens in-game. If the player doesn't want you to use that character as an NPC, for whatever reason, then you should respect his wishes on the matter. You said you still talk to this person, so the chance is there, however small, that he may return to your game and want to use that character again. That could get awkward if the character has been taken in a radical direction, or even killed, as an NPC.

However, that doesn't stop you, as the DM of your campaign from making up a similar character and using that as an NPC. Especially in this case, since it seems to be the name of the character that is the major hangup for the player in letting you use the character in later adventures.

Kaiyosama

First Post
If said person doesn't want you to use it, don't use it.
However, seeing as the only objection is the PC's name... Change the name... it should work.

well

just change the name. Personally i think the guys got some problems, but if you cant let go either you have some problems... :)

joe b.

Mugatu

First Post
if he made the character then I'd say that technically its his - but I'm not an attorney and either way if you just change the name like jgbrowning said then you can both be happy.

Wolv0rine

First Post
I'm with the consensus here, it's the player's character if he created it. Then again, I'm very possessive of my characters (and often use variations of characters which are key epic NPCs in the campaign world I've been working on lo these 10 years or so, because most of those began as PCs of mine).

reapersaurus

Explorer
Oaken25 said:
So what do you all think? After a game ends does the DM have the right to reuse old PC's and turn them into NPC's, or should they all PC's just be left out of the game world and ignored? Or does the player have the last say in how thier chars are used even though they no longer play in the game? Or both? And yes I posted this on the WOTC boards also but wanted to see what people would say over here also.
Are you F-ing KIDDING me?!

Does the DM have the "right"??!

I can't believe I'm hearing this - either this is a masterful troll, or this board is SO DM-biased that they've lost it.

Listen up : a PC belongs to the player.
Straight out.

The PC is ALL the player has in the game.
That's it -he doesn't control anything else - everything is at the whim and whimsy of the DM, and now you see no problem with going against a player's wishes (whatever those personal reasons may be) after they specifically asked you nicely not to use the character?

In over 2 years, this is the Wrongest thing I've yet read.

Oaken25

First Post
hmm

Yes, they have the say in thier char, but i'm asking what happens to it AFTER the game, it's not like they dont have a copy of thier character, but the DM should also have a copy for his game world if the PC's change the game world. Say they build a city in the campaign world and the game ends, then if that's the case then why game? The city would have to disappear cause the DM has no right to the character? Then why even game in some one's campaign world, nothing would ever get done, cause the DM has no access to PC's after the game ends? Many other game designers, have used PC's that became NPC's.

Celebrim

Legend
The artistic and intellectual property of the character, his name, his quotations, his concept, and his background belong to the player, and should be used only with his consent.

All other gaming content belongs to the DM. If the DM plans to publish the adventure in some form, I would think he would be up front about that intention to begin with. I would think that any group friendly enough to play together, wouldn't get too tied up in a not over who is plagerizing who and would just be happy to see one of thier number get paid or at least tell a good story hour.

Atma

First Post
PCs belong to players.

PCs belong to the players - period. If a player expresses no real interest either way, then it shouldn't be a big deal if you use it... however, this player has expressly said "that character means something to me, please do not use it as an NPC". Even if it's just because of the name, don't use it. Trust me, I currently play under a DM who re-uses old PCs, and nothing good has ever come of it. Most players get really damn tired of interacting with the same NPC or dealing with the same Deux Ex Machina every campaign.

Plus, if the person ever does find out that you are using it against his or her wishes, you will have a very ugly situation on your hands.

Save yourself the headache, don't use it. It's his (or hers).

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads