• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who "Owns" Old PC's?

Numion

First Post
Re: Re: Who "Owns" Old PC's?

reapersaurus said:
Are you F-ing KIDDING me?!

Does the DM have the "right"??!

I can't believe I'm hearing this - either this is a masterful troll, or this board is SO DM-biased that they've lost it.

Listen up : a PC belongs to the player.
Straight out.

The PC is ALL the player has in the game.
That's it -he doesn't control anything else - everything is at the whim and whimsy of the DM, and now you see no problem with going against a player's wishes (whatever those personal reasons may be) after they specifically asked you nicely not to use the character?

In over 2 years, this is the Wrongest thing I've yet read.

And what if the PC was turned to a vampire while in-game, and was now a vampire in the DMs world? The idea of turning PCs into NPCs is actually mentioned and thus approved of in the Core Rulebooks of D&D. Could the player decide to kill it with his thought still, by saying the DM can't use it?

Sixchan

First Post
Lisa Nadazdy said:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!112

Gaming is many things, but I hardly put it on the area of a Van Gogh. Roleplaying a game isn't art.

Strange. I've always thought that Roleplaying is an Art, and that Characters are an Artistic Expression of Roleplaying. But maybe that's just me...

Lisa Nadazdy

First Post
Sixchan said:

Strange. I've always thought that Roleplaying is an Art, and that Characters are an Artistic Expression of Roleplaying. But maybe that's just me...

*snicker*

Well, if it is, you'll have to send me tickets to the theatre it's playing at. ;)

Oaken25

First Post
I guess I'm glad I'm not the only one who has reused old PC's and NPC's and has never had any trouble with players about it until I had the problem that came up this week.

I always assumed that when the game was over the PC's were the DM's to do with what the DM wanted, especially if the PC's changed the DM's game world, since Roleplaying is a dual activity, yes the PC's are made by the Players but the DM also uses them in plot hooks that are the DM's ideas, so this arguement about who owns a PC really got me thinking. And also players have every right to keep playing that PC in another world by another DM, but in my world that PC was now part of my worlds history, and I am not going to just ignore all that it accomplished and rewrite my game world cause some one doesn't like me using a old PC.

Last edited:

Sixchan

First Post
Lisa Nadazdy said:

*snicker*

Well, if it is, you'll have to send me tickets to the theatre it's playing at. ;)

You know, not every art is performed on stage. Is a play that is not performed in public any less an 'art'?

Lisa Nadazdy

First Post
Sixchan said:

You know, not every art is performed on stage. Is a play that is not performed in public any less an 'art'?

IMHO, that's just pretentious. If you're playing a game to create "art" (which is an overused word), than you have an overinflated sense of ego. I don't know what you think you're playing a game for, but as for me, I play the game to have fun.

Sixchan

First Post
Lisa Nadazdy said:

IMHO, that's just pretentious. If you're playing a game to create "art" (which is an overused word), than you have an overinflated sense of ego. I don't know what you think you're playing a game for, but as for me, I play the game to have fun.

I'm not playing to create art. I'm doing it because I enjoy it. Just because I happen to consider roleplaying an art doesn't mean I've got an overinflated ego.

Numion

First Post
Sixchan said:

I'm not playing to create art. I'm doing it because I enjoy it. Just because I happen to consider roleplaying an art doesn't mean I've got an overinflated ego.

Yeah, but hey... D&D an art? come on...

Wolv0rine

First Post
I will say, just as far as a home game goes, I don't see a problem with it unless the character becomes 'iconic' in some piece of work of mine, and then even still there's no real big problem because it's just the DM's home game. I remember times when a GM has brought in characters from the previous campaign in the same world, and it added a sense of history, which was good. (of course if this is taken too far, it does have the ability to make new players in that world feel overshadowed by the specter of PCs past).
Of course this is a silly thread, isn't that what's making it so much fun? :)

Remove ads