• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Who should own Wizards of the Coast if/when it is sold?

Who should own it if it's sold - me. Prepare for more Dark Sun than you can handle, plus everyone responsible for the 4e FR book doing the Game of Thrones 'shame!' walk along a major road near you.

Who will own it if it's sold - Amazon or Netflix.

Will it be sold? No. It's making Hasbro an absolute mint right now, with very low overheads. Why on earth would they get rid of it?

kenada

Legend
Supporter
At first glance, selling WotC seems similar to what happened with Bungie and Halo, but I don’t think WotC is more than just the D&D and M:tG company now. They’re more like 343 Industries than Bungie.

I assume if WotC were sold, it would be to private equity with Hasbro’s retaining the IP rights and licensing them back to WotC. The goal would be to externalize development costs while also turning it into a source of revenue (via licensing). Hasbro could also return some of the proceeds to shareholders, which their institutional investors would love.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
At first glance, selling WotC seems similar to what happened with Bungie and Halo, but I don’t think WotC is more than just the D&D and M:tG company now. They’re more like 343 Industries than Bungie.

I assume if WotC were sold, it would be to private equity with Hasbro’s retaining the IP rights and licensing them back to WotC. The goal would be to externalize development costs while also turning it into a source of revenue (via licensing). Hasbro could also return some of the proceeds to shareholders, which their institutional investors would love.

If it sells, this is probably the most likely scenario.

Remove ads