• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Who Sues The Watchmen?

moritheil

First Post
One day, we will find out what perverse imperative drives film makers to change perfectly fine endings to established literary works.

Rackhir

Explorer
moritheil said:
One day, we will find out what perverse imperative drives film makers to change perfectly fine endings to established literary works.

Oh that's no mystery. It's called putting your stamp on things, pandering to perceived public preferences and/or justifying your involvement in a project.

John Crichton

First Post
Rackhir said:
Oh that's no mystery. It's called putting your stamp on things, pandering to perceived public preferences and/or justifying your involvement in a project.
Or changing things so that actually work for a movie where they wouldn't have in the original version. I'm sure some of it is vanity but it's unfair to assume that is always the case.

Rackhir

Explorer
John Crichton said:
Or changing things so that actually work for a movie where they wouldn't have in the original version. I'm sure some of it is vanity but it's unfair to assume that is always the case.

There's a difference between changing minor plot elements, secondary characters or sequencing which is what you seem to talking about and stuff like tacking on happy ending to stories which had downer endings originally which is what I was responding to.

In LotR, I didn't mind them substituting Arwen for Glorfindel in the flight from the Ringwraiths. He doesn't show up again in the books and there wasn't anything special about what he did when he was there. I didn't mind them dropping Tom Bombadil, since he was completely irrelevant to the story and the movies were long enough as is, even before the SE.

I did mind them turning Gimli into nothing other than comic relief and the but of jokes. I did mind them cutting out some of the great speeches and scenes such so that Jackson had enough time to insert stuff that wasn't in the original story. I understand you can't get everything from very long books into even a 3.5 hr movie, but don't cut them so you can go adding stuff just so you can feel like you've put your stamp on things.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I agree with Moore.

Leave it a comic book. Do you think the film will have the comic book pirate story in the story? I doubt it would, and yet that seems so crucial to a understanding of the graphic novel, and its exclusion would flatten it. It wouldn't be like leaving out Tom Bombadil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads