Who was the best Batman?

Which acter best represents your ideal of Batman?

• Adam West - Batman Tv Series / Legends of the Super Heroes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Bruce Tomas - Onstar telivision spots / Birds of Prey Tv series

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dick Gautier - 1970s PSA

• Micheal Keaton - Batman / Batman Returns

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Val Kilmer - Batman: Forever

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • George Clooney - Batman and Robin

• Christian Bale - Batman Begins / Dark Knight

Votes: 50 62.5%

fodigg

First Post
Yeah, I've been in these discussions before. It's clear that I just don't get whatever Keaton's appeal was, and nobody ever really sells their PoV that well.

I understand Keaton's appeal more than I understand the ones who hold up Jack Nicolson as "the best joker ever". That I will never understand.

At least with Keaton you got somebody who played the flippant Bruce Wayne well. You got somebody who portrayed someone a little...off. A little strange and obsessed. Which you don't really get from Bale. With Bale you get a Bruce Wayne who is "driven". There's always a method to his madness, not just plain ol' madness.

Which is interesting to me considering how well he played his role in American Psycho.

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
I understand Keaton's appeal more than I understand the ones who hold up Jack Nicolson as "the best joker ever". That I will never understand.

At least with Keaton you got somebody who played the flippant Bruce Wayne well. You got somebody who portrayed someone a little...off. A little strange and obsessed. Which you don't really get from Bale. With Bale you get a Bruce Wayne who is "driven". There's always a method to his madness, not just plain ol' madness.

Which is interesting to me considering how well he played his role in American Psycho.

I think part of it, though, is one's interpretation of Bruce Wayne. Some writers have written him as fairly straight, but driven; while others portray him as "a little off."

fodigg

First Post
I think part of it, though, is one's interpretation of Bruce Wayne. Some writers have written him as fairly straight, but driven; while others portray him as "a little off."

Agreed. Keaton plays the dark knight as a member of the grand opera that is Gotham's nightlife. Bale plays the dark protector who uses imagery as a tool.

With Keaton it's a compulsion. With Bale it's a mission. Both are appropriate to the Batman mythos.

Klaus

First Post
Agreed. Keaton plays the dark knight as a member of the grand opera that is Gotham's nightlife. Bale plays the dark protector who uses imagery as a tool.

With Keaton it's a compulsion. With Bale it's a mission. Both are appropriate to the Batman mythos.
Well said.

While Keaton isn't my favorite Batman, I agree that he was perfect for the kind of movie he was in (Tim Burton's operatic style suits him).

Shadeydm

First Post
Should we be voting only on the Batman performance or should the Bruce Wayne performance have equal weight in the score? Personally I thought that as good as Keaton's Batman was his Bruce Wayne was equally horrible.

garyh

First Post
I echo the sentiments of "What? No Kevin Conroy?", the voice of the animated Batman. I love Bale, but when I read Batman comics now I hear Kevin Conroy. Live action be damned.

I'm still not sure if I would pick Mark Hamill over Ledger for best Joker. Both are great.

I was about to type the same thing. Bale's my favorite live Batman, but when I read a Batman comic, I hear Kevin Conroy. Not only is he fantastic in the part, but the sheer volume of Batman stories featuring Kevin Conroy dwarfs anyone else who's ever played the part.

I also typically hear Hamill when reading the Joker, but when I read "The Killing Joke" for the first time last week, I definitely had some Ledger in mind with that portrayal. But there's been so many different takes on the Joker by different writers, and since the character is a chaotic nutjob, I think picturing him as the Hamill Joker in one scene and then as the Ledger Joker in another in the same story works for the character. :)

Darrell

First Post
I'm afraid I cannot agree with, nor even understand the viewpoint of, anyone who prefers Keaton's Batman. I hated the movie when it came out, and thought from the get-go that he was horribly miscast. Of course, a good deal of my dislike for that movie also lay in Nicholson's 'Shining/Witches of Eastwick/etc./etc.-character-in-whiteface' aqnd my general distaste for Tim Burton's entire body of work. Frankly, as much as I dispise them, I actually prefer Schumacher's god-awful 'attempt-at-campy' Bat-movies to Burton's.

Remove ads