D&D 5E Who Will be The Next Monte...

hexgrid

Explorer
Monte Cook achieved his status by:

1) Being far more active in the online d20/D&D community than the other 3e designers.

2) Using his position as a 3e designer as one of the main marketing point for his independent products.

(in addition to releasing good stuff, of course.)

It'll be interesting to see if any of the 4e designers strike out on their own like Monte did.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
hexgrid said:

1) Being far more active in the online d20/D&D community than the other 3e designers.

2) Using his position as a 3e designer as one of the main marketing point for his independent products.

It'll be interesting to see if any of the 4e designers strike out on their own like Monte did.
Well, mearls has done the first point pretty well... I mean he still trolls posts on ENWorld - and is fairly active on Gleemax and his blogs (Gleemax & Livejournal).
For the second point - he has done that in reverse, he made good products as independent, to become a WotC staff member!

Cheers, LT.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
hexgrid said:

I would add

3) Being nice and polite to the online D&D community even when they acted like morons. I should know. I acted like a moron and Monte Cook was nice and polite to me. Several times.

Anyway...

I'm betting Monte Cook is going to be the Monte Cook of 4e. I'm betting he's going to come back to us. Kinda like James Brown kept coming back. Only Monte won't serve time in prison.

Probably.

Will there be one? I don't know if there's a single name associated with Second Edition that carries equivalency to "Monte Cook" or "Gary Gygax". I could be wrong.

T. Foster

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
Will there be one? I don't know if there's a single name associated with Second Edition that carries equivalency to "Monte Cook" or "Gary Gygax". I could be wrong.
David "Zeb" Cook, I suppose. He was credited as author of both the 2E PH and DMG, plus the Planescape setting.

SPECTRE666

Adventurer
BiggusGeekus said:
I would add

3) Being nice and polite to the online D&D community even when they acted like morons. I should know. I acted like a moron and Monte Cook was nice and polite to me. Several times.

Anyway...

I'm betting Monte Cook is going to be the Monte Cook of 4e. I'm betting he's going to come back to us. Kinda like James Brown kept coming back. Only Monte won't serve time in prison.

Probably.

So...when he dies, will gamers from all over the world celebrate his legacy, by gaming at his funeral?

Monte Con at his grave site every year!!! ;)

Remove ads