D&D 5E Who Will be The Next Monte...

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Scott Rouse (despite the obvious reasons against it) 'cause of all the people at WotC, he's the most likely to read this. :D

Cadfan

First Post
The key to Monte's appeal is that he left WOTC and actively courted the types who see WOTC as "the man keepin' us down."

So its impossible to know who the next Monte will be.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Cadfan said:
The key to Monte's appeal is that he left WOTC and actively courted the types who see WOTC as "the man keepin' us down."

That's an interesting observation. I don't agree or disagree with it, I just find it interesting. Or curious. On what basis do you say that?

EDIT: For the record, I think the key to Monte's appeal is that he is a good designer of high fantasy games who keeps the players' sensibilities front and center (moreso than the DM).

GlassJaw

Hero
Wulf Ratbane said:
EDIT: For the record, I think the key to Monte's appeal is that he is a good designer of high fantasy games who keeps the players' sensibilities front and center (moreso than the DM).

I also think he's one of the more visible and high-profile creators of a game (3ed) that brought D&D "back" to the forefront. He's also released a lot of high-profile and unique products (Arcana Unearthed, Ptolus, etc).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
GlassJaw said:
I also think he's one of the more visible and high-profile creators of a game (3ed) that brought D&D "back" to the forefront. He's also released a lot of high-profile and unique products (Arcana Unearthed, Ptolus, etc).

But clearly his stuff has more going for it than just "Monte Hype."

He has a style, and folks like it.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
True - I *really* like his vibe. He has certain naming conventions, definite Lovecraftian influences (Galchutt in Ptolus, other stuff in many other products), mixed with his Planescape-vibe (Requiem of a God, his Ethereal Sea, BoEM3: the Nexus), and his design opinions (as seen in AU/AE - give choices, making magic more interesting). His products have a distinctive feel, especially when he authored them on his own during his Malhavoc Press time, and for some people, it rings true.

And you knew what you get with Monte's stuff. When I bought Malhavoc Press stuff, I knew in advance, what the feel was - that was a huge bonus, while WotC products vary in tone and style, due to the many different authors.

Add the web presence and his good marketing to it (designer diaries)... and you get Monte.

Cheers, LT.

GlassJaw

Hero
Wulf Ratbane said:

He has a style, and folks like it.

He's visible/high-profile AND has a style that people like. That combo makes him arguably the most recognized game designer.

Drammattex

First Post
"I may not be smarter than a fifth-grader, but I can kick one's ass."

-Mike Mearls, Nov. 2nd D&D Podcast-

That quote alone should be enough for the free world to revere Mearls.

Remove ads