D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

Igwilly

First Post
Well, I actually like 4th edition; very much.
However, I’m reading and DM a lot of other systems, so I can learn about them, before going back to 4th edition. I’ll try to speed things up, I want to return soon :)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Well, I actually like 4th edition; very much.
However, I’m reading and DM a lot of other systems, so I can learn about them, before going back to 4th edition. I’ll try to speed things up, I want to return soon :)

That isn't a bad idea at all. I strongly suggest both Dungeon World and 13th Age--in some ways, they and 4e all have a common ethos, but vary by implementation. You'll almost certainly find tools, for both sides of the DM's screen, to help with playing 4e.

Jessica

First Post
Not only am I still playing 4e, but I am playing in three different 4e games and my main character in each one of them is a Vampire of some kind*. Suck it Charopers! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

*Tiefling Psion/Vampire, Vryloka Vampire|Paladin, and Human Vampire.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Glad to hear it.

My games are still running, though we had a rough patch of scheduling near the end of the year. I think we'll be getting back into it now.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Not only am I still playing 4e, but I am playing in three different 4e games and my main character in each one of them is a Vampire of some kind*. Suck it Charopers! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

*Tiefling Psion/Vampire, Vryloka Vampire|Paladin, and Human Vampire.

Good to hear!

I have a human vampire in my group and he's been terribly effective. Sure, they're only level 4 right now but, so far, it has been a really useful character. darkvision, Stealth, Acrobatics (I allow this for climb and jump), unarmed combat: What's not to love? :)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My group hasn't played much lately, but when we get back into the swing, it will probably be our Paragon FR game where we last stopped right after being transported to the world of Abeir to find and bring back a lost friend who is trapped there, and have fallen in with a group of reveled lead by that lost friend. When we left off, they we (I run a DMPC, and there are two players in this campaign) had just been told that there was an ancient sea dragon working with the rebels, and were heading to meet him. For the curious, in this campaign, Abeir is a water world, full of islands, with the largest one smaller than Australia but bigger than Indonesia.

If I can get the whole group back in the swing, we might run our alt-earth campaign, but I've been converting that from 4e to my home system.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I like your take on Abeir.

I'm also still using the 4E Realms. Aside from the worst world map in the history of RPG publishing, I find it's a really evocative and inspiring campaign setting.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I like your take on Abeir.

I'm also still using the 4E Realms. Aside from the worst world map in the history of RPG publishing, I find it's a really evocative and inspiring campaign setting.
Thanks!

It really is a bad map. Someone made a corrected fan map, but they also changed things like the underchasm and the like, and removed all spellplague stuff, which made it unusable for me.

But yeah, the 4e Realms is one of my favorite settings. Don't really care for it post-sundering, though. I've instead made my own version wherein the gods that came back PS are back, though some with stories tied to my PCs, Netheril is still a strong nation, but it lost Shade Enclave and grounded the other one, resting it atop/between three massive pyramids. Now Netheril is a nation rebuilding itself, searching for an identity after throwing off the rule of the church of the goddess they now simply call The Doom of Netheril, when they mention her at all.

Thay has taken advantage of Netheril's lost power to try and fill the void, and the threat of a new war looms over the Dragon Coast. The nation's that once opposed Netheril, along with Netheril itself, and a now indipendent Sembia, form an uneasy alliance dedicated to two things:

Prevent a continent scale war from breaking out.

Ensure that the fate of mortals rests solely in the hands of mortals, not gods and their chosen.

oh and the alliance, with the help of the PCs, build a huge school, with a library to rival Candlekeep, for the best and brightest of Faerun to study together, on the southern shore of the Dragon Coast.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm still 'finishing out' 4e campaigns.

The one I'm running meets weekly for 2-4 hrs, started at the end of 2011 as an Encoutners table running Crystal Cave and took off from there (mostly story arcs ripped from the classics, and the odd mangled module). It is now Epic, with one PC lagging a couple levels behind.

The one I play in started in 2010, uses all original storylines, has also made it to Epic, but is down to 1/month for 6-8 hrs.

I expect it'll be some years before either finishes.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Thanks!

It really is a bad map. (snip)

When my son was a few weeks old at the beginning of 2012, I was changing his nappy one day and it was a horrible giant smudge of green and black baby poo. Suddenly I realised where the "cartographer" (sic) for the map (sic) of the 4E Realms got both his colour palette and his astonishing attention to detail (sic).

And that's all you really need to know how bad that map is! :)

I like your ideas a lot, BTW. The Sundering was the milquetoasts of resets. It was neither a return to the "real" Realms nor a reset like the 4E Realms. It was just a capitulation to designer impotence. By contrast, I like what you have done to develop history for your Realms. As for the Doom of Netheril, I always thought there was potential for Bane to make serious in-roads in Netheril because he wants to burn out whereas Shar wants to fade way. Nihilism is not a philosophy that promotes a functioning culture or government.

I'm keeping my games small: I focus on an area - typically one where I have a decent map (thanks, Mike Schley et al) and then run to low Paragon. There is a small chance, though, that my current Daggerdale campaign could eventually go Epic and resolve the issues between Cormyr and Netheril.

Remove ads