D&D 4E Who's still playing 4E

Yeah, the Grey Company as nazi like villains is a good concept. I always had the vibe that they tended to the more fascist side of things. The Raiders of the Lost Ark theme could also be very well connected to Gardmore Abbey and the Deck of Many Things.

And while we're at it: the Nentir Vale rocks!

thanson02

Explorer
I've taken the whole traits/bonds/flaws system wholesale: I love it. I still use 4E backgrounds etc... but I love the way these really flesh out the character especially for those players who sometimes struggle with that sort of thing. And I've coupled that with inspiration as well.
They actually covered this ides in a Unearthed Arcana article that is all 4E, but covers the mechanics that led into the 5E version.

thanson02

Explorer
Dragon Magazine 422
Article: Unearthed Arcana; Building a Character, Random Background Stories (pg 14)

EDIT: Author: Matt Sernett
:)

I love that article for random background generation! Another one that is fun, but not as in depth (good for quick character building) is "Where do I come from?" in Dragon 383, p. 79.

The article I was talking about though, was Unearthed Arcana: Personality Traits in Dragon 427, p.31. They went with the flaws and merits route from 3.5, but instead of making it part of the feat system, it is an additional element to your character generation and once per session, if you express something or do something that reflects who your character is through these flaws and merits, you can get an action point.

With working with the DM, you can certainly do a hybrid of these and use the random background generation to establish your flaws and merits (figuring out your bonds will establish themselves through the background generation) to do something like what they did in 5E, assuming the DM likes to play with action points and hand them out more. That is something I do with my players, but I also work with the expanded combat rules from Unearthed Arcana: Combat Options in Dragon 425, p. 36 so they have more things to do with action points then just get an extra standard action.

Jessica

First Post
I'm trying to start up a 4e group in Lansing. I have my roommate and her SO playing and a possible 3rd person who lives nearby. Once my roommate's SO moves down here we'll probably start on Friday or Saturday nights.

Ashoka

First Post
I'm DMing a campaign that's at level 18 and has been going for almost 2 years. 5 players, including 2 originals and one that joined at level 3. Our current group has been together for around a year.

We're all still loving it and dreading the day the character builder disappears.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I love that article for random background generation! Another one that is fun, but not as in depth (good for quick character building) is "Where do I come from?" in Dragon 383, p. 79.

The article I was talking about though, was Unearthed Arcana: Personality Traits in Dragon 427, p.31. They went with the flaws and merits route from 3.5, but instead of making it part of the feat system, it is an additional element to your character generation and once per session, if you express something or do something that reflects who your character is through these flaws and merits, you can get an action point.

With working with the DM, you can certainly do a hybrid of these and use the random background generation to establish your flaws and merits (figuring out your bonds will establish themselves through the background generation) to do something like what they did in 5E, assuming the DM likes to play with action points and hand them out more. That is something I do with my players, but I also work with the expanded combat rules from Unearthed Arcana: Combat Options in Dragon 425, p. 36 so they have more things to do with action points then just get an extra standard action.

I wish they would do a background chapter like the one in the Heroes Of The Feywild book from 4e. Other than a few mechanical gripes and making satyrs male only for no good reason, that book is fantastically good.

hugodlr

Explorer
I'm DMing a campaign that's at level 18 and has been going for almost 2 years. 5 players, including 2 originals and one that joined at level 3. Our current group has been together for around a year.

We're all still loving it and dreading the day the character builder disappears.

I light candles, say my prayers, and offer gnome sacrifices to the old gods so that the character builder never goes offline :)

thanson02

Explorer
I light candles, say my prayers, and offer gnome sacrifices to the old gods so that the character builder never goes offline :)
The gods have a backup for you if the fates are not kind.

Offline Character Builder with CBLoader. Really fun, especially if you understand code.

Remove ads