• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are hit points generated randomly?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Quartz said:
The big problem with taking the average and rounding up is that it aggressively favours the low HD classes.
Please detail why this is so (i.e., how you reached this comclusion), if you wouldn't mind.

I'd like to know what I might be doing wrong. :confused:

Hussar

Legend
Doctor DM said:
It's been that way for 30 years, and I'm not about to change it.

I always give my players at least half the die though.

ROTFLMAO at the irony of this statement.

Aus Snow said:
Originally Posted by Quartz
The big problem with taking the average and rounding up is that it aggressively favours the low HD classes.
Please detail why this is so (i.e., how you reached this comclusion), if you wouldn't mind.

I'd like to know what I might be doing wrong. :confused:

Because a wizard is now getting 3 hit points per level, while the fighter is getting 6, despite having 2 and half times bigger hit die. The thief is getting 4 and the cleric is getting 5. The high hit die characters are losing out on far more hit points per level than the lower die characters. At 10th level, the fighter has 60 out of 100 hp's, down by 40. The cleric has 50, only ten less than the fighter, despite his max being twenty less. The poor barbarian is even farther in the hole.

In other words, when you round up, the high dice classes lose out on a lot more potential hit points than the low dice classes.

S'mon

Legend
Hussar said:
In other words, when you round up, the high dice classes lose out on a lot more potential hit points than the low dice classes.

Put it another way - a 10th level Wizard with rolled d4 dice averages 25 hp, with high average they get 30, a significant boost. A 10th level Fighter with rolled d10 hit dice averages 55 hp, with high average they get 60, a trivial boost. The low hit dice classes gain far more from high-average. I don't think it's a problem for Rogues, but Wizards are already extremely powerful (ironic how 1e players used to complain abour M-Us being too powerful, when they've just got more powerful with each iteration!) and high-average hp removes their one remaining vulnerability, the possibility of low hit points.

hong

WotC's bitch
S'mon said:
Put it another way - a 10th level Wizard with rolled d4 dice averages 25 hp, with high average they get 30, a significant boost. A 10th level Fighter with rolled d10 hit dice averages 55 hp, with high average they get 60, a trivial boost. The low hit dice classes gain far more from high-average. I don't think it's a problem for Rogues, but Wizards are already extremely powerful (ironic how 1e players used to complain abour M-Us being too powerful, when they've just got more powerful with each iteration!) and high-average hp removes their one remaining vulnerability, the possibility of low hit points.
If FIVE HIT POINTS is a "significant boost", you need to upgrade your monsters. I suggest 3.75E.

S'mon

Legend
hong said:
If FIVE HIT POINTS is a "significant boost", you need to upgrade your monsters. I suggest 3.75E.

I'm running C&C now. When I ran 3.5e, the Wizard-8 PC had more hit points than the Fighter-8 PC.

Thanee

First Post
Quartz said:
The big problem with taking the average and rounding up is that it aggressively favours the low HD classes. Next time, it's going to be average rounded up for the combat classes and average rounded down for the non-combat classes.

I like rolling but with a minimum result of half the HD to avoid low hit point results.

It also works well in context of low to high HD, since they still get the benefit of having a higher HD.

Bye
Thanee

Aus_Snow

First Post
Uh. . .

So, giving characters the better side of *average* HP at levels 2+ disadvantages which classes exactly, and how/why, over the long term? :uhoh: :confused:

I'm still not getting it. :eek:

There's an increase of 1 HP per level on average, from die type to die type, when rolling as per the standard rules. So, what's the diff?

In other words, the advantage of having d10 over having d8 is precisely 1 HP per level, on average (regardless of whether it's the standard rolling system, or the system I use). Hm. . .

Thanee

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
There's an increase of 1 HP per level on average, from die type to die type, when rolling as per the standard rules. So, what's the diff?

That +5 is a higher relative increase to 20, and thus a bigger benefit, than it is to 50.

Not that I agree with the conclusions, that this is bad, but that's the argument, as far as I can see.

Bye
Thanee

S'mon

Legend
hong said:
And this is relevant to rounding up vs rounding down... how?

5 hit points is a very significant boost in C&C because monsters do less damage and there's less healing magic.

Edit: 25 to 30 is a significant boost. 55 to 60, not so much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads