• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are hit points generated randomly?

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I've long since thought that random rolls were dumb. I've also thought it dumb that most monster entries dont give full hitpoints for the first level. That's dumb, too, but the subject for another thread.

I use a 75% based on class level - not character level.

So, 1st character level is at full value as normal. Every other level uses the following:

Even class level - 75% rounded down. d4 = 3, d6 = 4, d8 = 6, d10 = 7, d12 = 9

Odd class level - 75% rounded up. d4 = 3, d6 = 5, d8 = 6, d10 = 8, d12 = 9

It works easily enough, and what is best is that it is really spreadsheet friendly.

takyris

First Post
Umbran said:
And, there are other games that have no random elements at all in the mechanics. So clearly, there's a spread of possibilities.

Indeed. But personally, I dislike having one bad die roll penalize my character for the entirety of a campaign. I prefer to have my character be point-buy in all possible ways, and then to have his or her attempts at actions be successful, or not, based on random chance.

Personal preference, and I make no argument otherwise, but if my character concept is "Tanky Fighter", I don't want to have to find a way to "roleplay" having rolled below average on my hit points three levels in a row, resulting in the party rogue being able to out-tank me. I want a level playing field -- this is the character I made, with abilities I bought and skills I purchased, and how he does in the game is up to my rolls and my tactical ability.

In the Grim Tales games I've run (where there are no d12s or d4s), I just give everyone max hit points. That might be unbalancing in a game with d12s and d4s, but in GT, it just means I can take the gloves off without worrying.

Umbran said:
And, there are other games that have no random elements at all in the mechanics. So clearly, there's a spread of possibilities.

Wow, a mod trotting out a veiled "play another game" card. Nice.

Hm, perhaps my last two sentences didn't get the point across - the logic is a slippery slope, in that it does not dictate a particular stopping point. You stop sliding down it because you make a choice in design, to suit some particular purpose, because the randomness can be useful.

Why not go reverse? More randomness! The slope goes both ways afterall. Isnt a little "unorganic" that all rogues sneak at the same rate? Lets roll to see if you get an extra d6 or not. That would be fun too.

Random HP really are the odd man out in character generation. Considering the RPGA doesnt even use them anymore, I think its high time they were ditched as an official option. In 4th edition, I'd wager they find themselves in the optional section.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I want to combine rolling and max hit-points.

For example, when you gain a level, you roll your HP normally. If you don't roll the max, you can roll a die of the difference at the 1/4 mark to the next level, and again, if necessary, at the 3/4 mark.

Emongnome

First Post
Hobo said:
.... I've given some serious thought towards giving half the hit die as a freebie and having them roll the second half--i.e., a d4 hit die turns to d2+2, a d6 to d3+3, d8 to d4+4, etc.

I do this and it works well, though I throw a wrench in it. I allow the players to choose between two options each time they roll for hit points. The can do as you describe above once, or roll the original dice three times, taking the highest. The pick before rolling. I did some quick Excel work and the overall average is almost identical for each. To compensate, I do 75% of max for monsters (I know that's slightly below the % max for characters, going from 87.5% on a d4 to a little over 79% on a d12). Keeps the characters heroic and the challenges.... challenging. I suggest you give it a try.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
ehren37 said:
Wow, a mod trotting out a veiled "play another game" card. Nice.

Not in the least. I don't see where you're getting that.

Why not go reverse? More randomness! The slope goes both ways afterall.

Quite correct. That's why I said, "there is no objective general reason to have them be either set or random." And earlier, "All that remains is a decision as to where to draw the line between fixed progressions and randomness."

I am not sure where there's disagreement here.

coriolis

Explorer
One big point in favour of going to fixed hit points is the bell curve factor that comes into play once you roll more than 1 dice. As you gain more and more hit dice, your hp total will tend to be increasingly average. It seems kinda strange that all the giants in a tribe will have about the same number of hp, while their goblin lackeys have wildly differing hp.

One solution that I would like to see in the next edition: for monster descriptions, have 4 different hp totals -- 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of maximum

Umbran said:
Quite correct. That's why I said, "there is no objective general reason to have them be either set or random." And earlier, "All that remains is a decision as to where to draw the line between fixed progressions and randomness."

I am not sure where there's disagreement here.
I don't think that's true, as I sorta said earlier. There's a big difference between character building and game-running/playing. Randomness in character building is a completely different animal than randomness in the game itself, and as far as I'm concerned, much less desireable both from an aesthetic standpoint as well as a game design standpoint.

Remove ads