• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are hit points generated randomly?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Doug McCrae said:
I was just joking. No one actually plays Man, Myth & Magic, Powers & Perils or Lords of Creation.
You must now be prepared to hear about several people who play each of these games, and have been doing so for 20 years. :)

Except for Man, Myth & Magic, I don't think that game was ever played...

;)

--Steve

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
For those arguing that the logic of the character build is why it should not be random, why not also kill off the idea that your class determines your hit points? Why isn't it based off of race instead? Attributes are affected by race not class. Logic says hit points should be as well.

Why does a human wizard with a 13 Strength 15 Dex and 14 Con have fewer hit points than a human fighter with the same stats? Because fighters learn lots of weapons and wear heavy armor? What does that have to do with their ability to die? Their training makes them tougher? They why isn't that reflected in their Str or Con? They learn how to avoid blows better? Why doesn't class level affect Dex or AC, then? Their combat training allows them to stand in a fight better than a wizard? Makes some sense when being attacked with swords, but how does that help when being burned by a fireball, or falling into a pit? The wizard will still die easier than the fighter then.

Isn't this just another sacred cow that deserves to be killed?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Thornir Alekeg said:
For those arguing that the logic of the character build is why it should not be random, why not also kill off the idea that your class determines your hit points? Why isn't it based off of race instead? Attributes are affected by race not class. Logic says hit points should be as well.

OFFTOPIC: IMC, this is the case. All levels roll hit points (even level 1), but every character gains bonus HP based on race.

Halflings = 4
Elves = 6
Humans = 8
Half-Orcs & Plane-touched = 10

So a Human Wizard 1 could easily be as tough as a Halfling Ranger 1, but once their careers take off, the Ranger-ness will outweigh the Halfling-ness.

Cheers, -- N

pawsplay

Hero
In the long run, random hit point generation works out to be very predictable. I consider it fun, perhaps a little sadomasochistic... a representation of the power of fate over your character's mortality. It makes as much sense as random damage.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:

Why does a human wizard with a 13 Strength 15 Dex and 14 Con have fewer hit points than a human fighter with the same stats? Because fighters learn lots of weapons and wear heavy armor? What does that have to do with their ability to die? Their training makes them tougher? They why isn't that reflected in their Str or Con? They learn how to avoid blows better? Why doesn't class level affect Dex or AC, then? Their combat training allows them to stand in a fight better than a wizard? Makes some sense when being attacked with swords, but how does that help when being burned by a fireball, or falling into a pit? The wizard will still die easier than the fighter then.

Isn't this just another sacred cow that deserves to be killed?

Yes. Hit dice should be based on type with modifiers for certain classes as either hit point bonuses, feat bonsues for toughness/improved toughness, etc....

I give my players a few options when it comes to hit points. They can roll or take average hit points (rounded down). If they don't like their roll, they can roll again with the next size down die d12 > d10 > d8 > d6 > d4 > d2 > 1.

I like this method as it means the Barbarian will likely still roll more hit points at any given level than the Wizard, even if he rolls a 1 on his d12 and again on his d10 (I did see the Fighter get down to a d4 once though!).

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads