Why are people so uncomfortable with PvP?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
The reason I don't allow it is because it has almost universally not been fun.

We played an all evil game once where we were backstabbing each other at the first chance we got. It was fun for a while until we realized that we had spent about 3 sessions in a row in the same circle:

1) Get annoyed at the other PCs for some perceived slight or because they have something you want

2) Kill them and take their stuff

3) Roll up a new character

We jointly decided there had to be more to the game than that and the game ended. Every attempt to attack or kill PCs in games not expressly for that purpose ended up with hard feelings. i.e. (Gamers): "I can't believe you BLEEP killed me, dude!"

I discourage in party conflict of any kind because it goes nowhere and ends up as OOC bad feelings. Each person in a group will have different definitions of what the alignments mean and what type of codes each class should have.

So, due to this we have seen 4 hour long arguements about whether or not to kill a prisoner while tied up which, after the first 2 hours became OOC as the players started saying "But, as per your alignment, you wouldn't want to do this" and "That's not what good means". Then, if I as a DM try to get them to play ICly, it almost always ends up with one character taking a stand against it and the other one either leaving the party or killing the other one.

Also, it normally only involves 2 or 3 of the 6 people at the table. The other ones start reading books or going to get food as they don't really care about the dillema one way or another.

And that's just minor conflict. I've seen players get so angry at being KILLED by another PC that they've left the group and didn't come back for weeks, when they finally calmed down. Even then, they let it get to them and would bring it up periodically.

Remove ads