D&D General Why are so many D&D articles *garbage*?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
We’ve always resisted that type of article here. We basically have three types — news and previews (where I try to be short and factual, rather than turn a one sentence news piece into a 3000 word essay); more editorial stuff (reviews, interviews, etc); and roundups which are lists of things but aren’t listicles (eg the crowdfunding column or reviews roundups).

I am aware I can make more money and get more clicks with listicles.
We keep the listicles in the Forums. Thank You very much!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think a lot of articles are written for players with no D&D experience. I remember back in middle school my friend learned to play AD&D entirely from reading Dragon articles. He didn't own a single book.

I'm curious, as experienced players, what kinds of articles do we actually want?
something like this:

(the intro is a bit long alas, but about 1/4 in, it gets very useful. )

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
You should write a listicle: "Top 5 Kinds of Articles We Would Never Write!"

Top Seven Articles EnWorld Won't Let You Read!

1. Warlords, How Cool are They? A multi-thread analysis.

2. Humanoid Hearts of Darkness. Why 'Orcs are Evil' is the New Black.

3. ¿Quién es Más Macho? A penetrating look at the best ever D&D Edition, and the worst.

4. 39 Uses for Bards. A list of savory recipes.

5. 1,001 Elven Nights. The complete compendium of all D&D elves, from Artic Elf to Zephyr Elves, and all 999 of their soulless, dead-eyed cousins.

6. If It's a Blast for You, It's a Blasphemy! How to Incorporate Real-World Religions into your D&D game; can God have so many hit points you cannot kill her?

7. Survivor: Every Spell Ever in D&D- There Can Be Only One! Currently at year three.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Top Seven Articles EnWorld Won't Let You Read!

1. Warlords, How Cool are They? A multi-thread analysis.

2. Humanoid Hearts of Darkness. Why 'Orcs are Evil' is the New Black.

3. ¿Quién es Más Macho? A penetrating look at the best ever D&D Edition, and the worst.

4. 39 Uses for Bards. A list of savory recipes.

5. 1,001 Elven Nights. The complete compendium of all D&D elves, from Artic Elf to Zephyr Elves, and all 999 of their soulless, dead-eyed cousins.

6. If It's a Blast for You, It's a Blasphemy! How to Incorporate Real-World Religions into your D&D game; can God have so many hit points you cannot kill her?

7. Survivor: Every Spell Ever in D&D- There Can Be Only One! Currently at year three.
Mods, can we ban Snarf for this? 😁

BookTenTiger

He / Him
something like this:

(the intro is a bit long alas, but about 1/4 in, it gets very useful. )
I love reflections on actual play, too.

I also enjoy articles that trace the history of quirky D&D monsters or other tropes. Descriptions of Gygax's original games are always a hoot, too.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Bell of Lost Souls is usually better than that. :/

Honestly, the internet clickbait algorithm issue sucks, and has sucked for a long time, though I think for the most part I can tell if something is going to be clickbait or not from the first sentence or first 30 seconds of video etc.

Remove ads