• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR Why B/X?

Ondath

Hero
Instead, Basic was the cleaned up OD&D rules. AD&D was also OD&D, except with all the supplements, a bunch of additional previously published material (such as Strategic Review and Dragon articles) as well as some new material, edited and put together.
Snarf, I gotta ask you something since you seem to know your stuff far better than I ever could. Were all the changes to the fundamental math in AD&D of the game also a part of the regular editing process? The XP tables are far more demanding (especially after name levels), the bonuses progress differently, Clerics get spells at 1st level and so on... I know some stuff is actually basically identical between OD&D and AD&D (Druid's XP tables are surprisingly similar, for instance), but other things are changed quite considerably to the degree that I don't know if a 3rd level OD&D/Basic Fighter and a 3rd-level AD&D Fighter would be on the same power level. Would this be akin to the buffs some classes are probably going to get in OneD&D?

Voadam

Legend
There were changes even within OD&D as it progressed over time. If you look at just the first book everyone has HD of d6 or a plus each level varying by class depending on how warrior the three classes are. By the supplement books you have the differentiation into different size HD in differentiating between classes and you have percentile strength and so on and new more powerful classes like the bard and ranger in The Strategic Review.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Snarf, I gotta ask you something since you seem to know your stuff far better than I ever could. Were all the changes to the fundamental math in AD&D of the game also a part of the regular editing process? The XP tables are far more demanding (especially after name levels), the bonuses progress differently, Clerics get spells at 1st level and so on... I know some stuff is actually basically identical between OD&D and AD&D (Druid's XP tables are surprisingly similar, for instance), but other things are changed quite considerably to the degree that I don't know if a 3rd level OD&D/Basic Fighter and a 3rd-level AD&D Fighter would be on the same power level. Would this be akin to the buffs some classes are probably going to get in OneD&D?

So, I'd answer this in two parts.

In a lot of way, I always think it's best to think of OD&D not as a complete gaming set, but more of a toolkit that let you create a game, and one that was always evolving. Playing it with just the LBBs (the original boxed set) is nearly impossible. In a certain way, there was no "single" OD&D, but rather a moving target of rules added through the supplements, 3PP, and Strategic Review / Dragon that combined with home campaigns to form OD&D. When people refer to OD&D today, they are usually talking about a version of it similar to what Holmes presented in Basic.

In that sense, it was evolving over time- so, for example, the LBB classes all had the same hit points and all weapons did the same damage. It wasn't until the first supplement that classes received different hit points and different weapons would do different (variable) damage.

Grognard interjection- And it's all been downhill since variable weapon damage was introduced!!!!

Anyway, from that perspective, AD&D can be thought of not as "changes to the fundamental math" but simply Gygax wanting to get everything together and codify it. Some things were changed a little, but it mostly stayed the same. Again, it was about codification. At the time, despite his hobbyist roots, he had a strong commercial interest in making D&D a single thing.

As to the second part ... I don't necessarily think that this is the same as OneD&D. But .... I do think that WoTC might be interested in standardization (aka, codification) of certain aspects of the game to make it even more VTT friendly.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I remember playing D&D in junior high in the early 80s and seeing the Companion and Master level boxed sets and just boggling. We couldn't keep a consistent campaign going for 2+ sessions. I couldn't imagine playing to 15th-to-30th level!
I know what you mean: at Companion level, it's almost a completely different game. Dominions, armies, clanholds and relics...

We never made it to the Master boxed set. But my high school gaming group did make it to Companion level, and we ran CM1: Test of the Warlords for a whole summer. It was the most fun I've ever had playing a high-level adventure.

Remove ads