Why Did "Solo" and "Rogue One" Feel Like RPG Sessions?

If you saw the two most recent "Star Wars Story" movies--Solo or Rogue One--a common refrain is that they feel like how Star Wars role-playing game sessions play out. The reason has a lot to do with a shift in franchise-building philosophy and what kinds of stories role-playing games are good at telling.

If you saw the two most recent "Star Wars Story" movies--Solo or Rogue One--a common refrain is that they feel like how Star Wars role-playing game sessions play out. The reason has a lot to do with a shift in franchise-building philosophy and what kinds of stories role-playing games are good at telling.

[h=3]The War That Never Ends[/h]Before selling Lucasfilm to Disney in 2012, George Lucas was working with Lawrence Kasdan on a standalone Solo film, with two others announced later (Rogue One and a third about Boba Fett). These films were first known as "anthology films" and later, "Star Wars Stories," are distinctive in that they lack an opening crawl like the trilogies. The exploration of these side stories is a tradition that Star Wars helped create:

As with most aspects of the modern blockbuster, franchise expansion got its big-screen start with “Star Wars,” which used novels, comic books and TV movies to create a so-called ‘Extended Universe,’ before gaining speed in the 2000s, thanks principally to superhero pictures, or borderline superhero pictures, like “Catwoman,” “Elektra,” and “The Scorpion King” (though “Supergirl” and “U.S. Marshals” are two unsuccessful examples of early universe-expansion before that).

But why now? Disney's success with interweaving Marvel stories -- something long-established in comics -- is certainly part of it:

Studio executives see their jobs as minimizing risk, and movies based on established, proven properties are seen as less risky than original material, and thus less likely to get them fired if they don’t work. The extended universe is seen to be a way of not just building on a franchise through sequels, but by linking seemingly stand-alone pictures and allowing them to crossover. Why take a gamble on an original script when you can squeeze in a spin-off or prequel instead? If you have a proven franchise asset, as most of these studios do, it’s seen as responsible business to maximize it by getting as much product out of it as you can. Whereas the old studio system would put their biggest stars in as many films as possible, now the properties themselves are the stars.

Two factors are coming together to make this kind of storytelling popular. Millennials are interested in storytelling and the Internet's fondness for mashups:

The of idea continuing a successful movie goes beyond just striking gold with the same idea. Studio executives see their jobs as minimizing risk, and movies based on established, proven properties are seen as less risky than original material, and thus less likely to get them fired if they don’t work. The extended universe is seen to be a way of not just building on a franchise through sequels, but by linking seemingly stand-alone pictures and allowing them to crossover. Why take a gamble on an original script when you can squeeze in a spin-off or prequel instead? If you have a proven franchise asset, as most of these studios do, it’s seen as responsible business to maximize it by getting as much product out of it as you can. Whereas the old studio system would put their biggest stars in as many films as possible, now the properties themselves are the stars.

It's probably no coincidence that Dungeons & Dragons is experiencing a rise in popularity too. And that's at least in part due to the fact that role-playing games do storytelling and mashups very well.
[h=3]RPG's Strength Stat[/h]Traditional RPGs in the vein of D&D can still tell exciting stories, but they don't lend themselves to the epic, sweeping narratives that are narrowly focused on one character's destiny--a staple of Star Wars.

There are reasons for this: randomization; an attempt to balance play for all players so they have fun; leveling and improvement systems so that all characters have an incentive for self-improvement; and multiple independently-minded player characters who may not follow the plot as dictated by the game master. Steven Ray Orr explains:

As a writer, I knew that storytelling was an isolated affair that involved ruthlessly stealing ideas from friends, family, and anyone else that happened upon my path, but Dungeons & Dragons is the antithesis of such selfishness and best understood as method of crafting a communal narrative. Just as the limitations of genre, form, and style bind written stories, so too are there rules in D&D that confine what is possible, but role-playing removes the absolute authorial control that comes with solitary storytelling.

D&D itself is a mashup of a wide variety of influences:

The different classes of character you can play as—barbarian, druid, wizard, etc.—are pulled from mythological and literary sources, from pre-Christian Celtic traditions to the character of Aragorn in the LOTR universe. Geographical planes where one can play, magical spells and weapons one can use, and monsters one might fight stem from sources as disparate as Pliny’s Natural History, Paradise Lost, and Arabian Nights. This kitschy mix of every fantastic invention or story we know of makes the texture of D&D campaigns collage-like and chaotic. Since so many ideas are being reused at once, one inevitably creates a new Frankenstein’s monster of a campaign every time.

D&D and RPGs in general have always told great stories, and the geeky nature of fandom encourages detail-oriented worldbuilding. The Star Wars Story films are an attempt to fill in those gaps. In a way, the sensibilities of the expanded universe ofthe Star Wars franchise has come full circle, reaching the big screen that spawned it. It's a new form of storytelling that has been prevalent on TV, and not everyone is happy about it.
[h=3]A New Form of Storytelling[/h]The expansion of Hollywood universes into a web of movies that contribute to a larger narrative has shifted the focus of a film's success away from its stars and good storytelling to worldbuilding, which can only be fully appreciated by consuming all of the media:

When movies were mostly one-offs—and not spinoffs, sequels, reboots, or remakes—they had to be good...No matter how well executed, commercial success for such a film was never guaranteed. Laying out an enormous sum of money on a product whose creation depends upon a harmony of massive egos, and whose final appeal is the result of intangibles, is a terrible basis for a commercial enterprise...Today, the major franchises are commercially invulnerable because they offer up proprietary universes that their legions of fans are desperate to reënter on almost any terms. These reliable sources of profit are now Hollywood’s financial bedrock.

The latest Avengers: Infinity War movie leaned heavily on the audience's knowledge of the other movies and was therefore its success was nearly inseparable from the entire Marvel oeuvre. Joshua Rothman of the New Yorker explains how this transition affects Star Wars:

It used to be a “saga”—a story told in the epic mode, in which the fate of the world is inextricably tied to the souls of cosmically important and irreplaceable individuals. It’s becoming a “universe,” in which atomized and interchangeable people embark on adventures that are individually exciting but ultimately inconsequential.

Add all this together and it's no wonder that movies are now starting to tell the same stories that RPGs have always been telling:

When the universalization of “Star Wars” is complete, it will no longer be a story but an aesthetic. We’ll be able to debate which actor played Han Solo best, just as we weigh the pros and cons of different James Bonds. We’ll keep up with the new movies not because we want to find out what happens—the plot, if one exists, will be an impenetrable trellis of intersecting arclets—but because we like their vibe, their look, and their general moral attitude.

If the box office receipts of Star Wars and the Marvel movies are any indication, fans are finally coming around to the kinds of stories we've telling with our RPGs for decades.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Tony Vargas

Legend
Also, Rogue One felt like an RPG adventure, to me, because I've gamed with people who would build characters exactly like the ones in the movie.
I mean, you've got the ruthless spy played by the guy who's always willing to betray the party to prove how edgy he is. You've got the player who always gives their character the detailed, heart-wrenching, improbable backstory neatly plugged into the background you gave for the campaign. You've got the guy who wants to play the jedi even though you've said, from session 0, there will be no jedi, so he plays Chirrut Îmwe. And, of course, you've got the guy who always plays the fighter in heavy armor with a greatsword, even when it's not D&D, playing his merc friend in heavy armor with a big weapon.

pming

Legend
Hiya!
[MENTION=3987]Bagpuss[/MENTION], well I'd post direct links but I guess that's "illegal" here on the site (posting a link to someone who swears, has/shows more adult subjects, or has a strong opinion to one 'side' or the other...or something like that...I'm still uncertain why, but as they say "Them's the rules" so I'm stickin' to 'em! :) ).

Suffice it to say, I give very little credibility to anyone who is a "pro" movie critic nowadays (nowadays being for the last 20 or so years).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Rey also had a throwaway line of dialogue about helping Unkar Plutt on the Falcon.
How about her line of:

Finn: You ever fly this thing?
Rey: No, this ship hasn't flown in years.

Granted she did, just 30 seconds earlier, claim to be a pilot... however... again. On one hand we have Luke, who barely fends off the TIEs and needs saving from Vader in his climactic scene and Rey, who is an ace pilot and gunner on a ship she's never even flown before.

They're both Mary Sues (Anakin most of all). I just feel that Rey just gets called out primarily because she's a woman.
Luke often has failures and 'barely scraped bys' and requires rescuing in two movies, Rey never fails, rescues herself, and succeeds at all but one thing she puts her hand to (turning Kylo from the dark side, so far).

Oh, and she's pretty much untouched in all her lightsaber fights. Take that one-handed mens! ;)

I'm not discussing Anakin. There are glaring flaws in those three movies as well, and Anakin is one of the biggest of them.

Granted she did, just 30 seconds earlier, claim to be a pilot... however... again. On one hand we have Luke, who barely fends off the TIEs and needs saving from Vader in his climactic scene and Rey, who is an ace pilot and gunner on a ship she's never even flown before.

So? Luke's DM started the campaign at 1st level, and Rey's DM let them start at 3rd. Plus, Luke was a 1st edition character, probably "keeping what he rolled". Rey got to use point-buy and has access to skill points, not to mention that human-optional feat. Finn and Poe are clearly 3rd level as well, so it's all fair.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I was cleaning out my desk and came across one of the greatest PC games: Star Wars Episode One Pod Racer! For both Windows 95 and.... wait for it... Windows 98!

I'm definitely not a hoarder, is what I'm saying.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
How about her line of:

Finn: You ever fly this thing?
Rey: No, this ship hasn't flown in years.

Luke often has failures and 'barely scraped bys' and requires rescuing in two movies, Rey never fails, rescues herself, and succeeds at all but one thing she puts her hand to (turning Kylo from the dark side, so far).

Oh, and she's pretty much untouched in all her lightsaber fights. Take that one-handed mens! ;)

I'm not discussing Anakin. There are glaring flaws in those three movies as well, and Anakin is one of the biggest of them.
Gah, are you flogging the "Rey's the worsterest mary sue of all the Star Wars mary sues, no matter how many times you point out the same flaws in the ones I like!" again?

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Gah, are you flogging the "Rey's the worsterest mary sue of all the Star Wars mary sues, no matter how many times you point out the same flaws in the ones I like!" again?
Allow me to point to something you perhaps (no doubt in your Anakin lust fueled haze) have missed:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Rey's ability to pretty much get whatever she wants without any real sacrifice or effort just rubs me the wrong way.

Okay. So, if your family abandons you to live in a hovel in the desert, with no means of support, we call that "getting what we want with no sacrifice".

Language changes so quickly these days, it is hard for me to keep up sometimes.

Yeah, usually I suggest folks avoid the snark, but this was kind exceptional. If she got whatever she wanted without effort or sacrifice, she'd not be living in squalor for the majority of her life, you know. She'd not have her mentors die or reject her. She would, by and large, be *happy*.

Let us please remember that the Chosen One trope is a few *THOUSAND* years old. Pretty much every mythology has at least one.

Remove ads

Remove ads