D&D 5E Why do ability scores cap at 20 instead of 18?

Audiomancer

Adventurer
1) 18 is more fun than 20.

2) A d20 roll caps at 20 (before modifiers). Your level caps at 20. So ability scores having a cap at 20 is synergy. It doubles down on the brand.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
I don't feel amusing that half of your stats might dwell bneath 8;
in FASERIP there were only three low levels ( Shift_0, Feeble, and Poor ) :)

dave2008

Legend
I like the idea of capping ability scores, rather than the endless chase from 3E & 4E. However, I can't fathom why they chose 20, instead of the dice maximum of 18 (which was the non-magical maximum in AD&D and earlier). It might have made sense back when racial ASI could take a rolled ability score over the cap, but since the game is moving away from fixed ASI, this really doesn't hold up anymore.

What does everyone thing? Would you prefer to go back to 18 as a cap, or do you have a reason why 20 works better for you?
We plan to use an 18 cap for our next campaign

If I roll an 18 for my "prime" score and have a +2 bonus to the same score, I feel I have the right to start it at 20.

No you don't. There are no +2 bonuses to specific scores anymore. Put it in a different place.
Actually rolling attributes with floating ASIs and 18 cap are a bit more balanced now, as some pressure is taken off to get a crucial 18 or pick a certain race to have a good character.

dave2008

Legend
No you don't. There are no +2 bonuses to specific scores anymore. Put it in a different place.
Actually rolling attributes with floating ASIs and 18 cap are a bit more balanced now, as some pressure is taken off to get a crucial 18 or pick a certain race to have a good character.
Actually there are. Every race in the PHB has specific ability bonuses.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'd go with a max of 18 for all humans, and other races can break the limit up to 20 in their racial bonus.

If using floating stats, the character can break the limit (up to 20) in the two primary stats of their class, aka the two stats in which they have save proficiency.

In both case, I think I'd restrict this possible limit break only at chargen.

Have I ever said how much I hate ASI? I started playing D&D with BG2, so increasing stats was a thing left to magic items and spells.

Last edited:

Remove ads