D&D 5E Why do ability scores cap at 20 instead of 18?

Personally, I don't debate it. I used fixed ASIs and always will. No floating.

What is that?

Type-o? Was it supposed to be "gift"? Or is it something I am unfamiliar with?

Anyway, assuming a type-o, I don't need the STR +2 to be far better at increasing strength. It does what it was meant to do, make the PC better at utilizing their strength.

Now, if WotC goes the way of removing ASI completely (no floaters) and instead gives races distinct features to represent their racial differences, I would be all for that. In that respect, I prefer features like Powerful Build and Keen Senses to STR +2 or WIS +1.

The giff race from the spelljammer preview has a new version of powerful build that also gives advantage on strength ability checks and saving throws.

I see the floating ability scores only as a way to customize your dice rolls or standard array a bit. I also hope this is showing the trend to give substantial bonuses to races that will actually do emphasize that a race is physically better at sonething:

Goliaths should get the newer version of powerful build too.

Dwarves should all get +1 hp or the tasha's guide feat to spend a hit die mid combat.

Elves should keep keen senses and I would not mind something that emphasizes their agility (or elven accuracy).

I would hope humans get the 4e essentials ability to add a small number to a d20 roll a few times per day.

I think halflings already have a strong ability (lucky).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, literally the "giff" boost, as in the race of hippopotamid humanoids from Spelljammer recently previewed on D&D Beyond.

In lieu of +2 Str, they have advantage on Strength checks and (I think) saves.
Oh, yeah, I never did Spelljammer and have no interest in it. I know of Giffs, but beyond the hippopotamid humanoids in space, no clue.

I would find advantage on Strength checks a bit annoying because it makes other things obsolete for the PC. Raging? Well, just a bonus to damage and resistance now, the advantage on Strength checks is useless.

Of course, Rage could be changed. Instead of the Rage bonus just being to damage, it could be a bonus to Strength checks, raising the floor and ceiling instead of just boosting the average. Actually, I like that idea... :unsure:

I suspect the other way around. Default is to maintain the existing while the variant is build-a-race options and floating ASIs. But time will tell.
True, it could go either way, but I expect both will be available.

"Hippo Build. You have advantage on Strength-based ability checks and Strength saving throws. In addition, you count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift."
Ah, thanks for the info!

So, Powerful Build, but even BETTER! LOL, why am I not surprised.

Darn, WotC, can't you come up with anything that isn't "better" than what came before it???

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would find advantage on Strength checks a bit annoying because it makes other things obsolete for the PC. Raging? Well, just a bonus to damage and resistance now, the advantage on Strength checks is useless.

In three different campaigns with barbarians, I don't think I've seen a single use of advantage on Strength checks - the damage bonus and especially the resistance, however, are constantly used.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In three different campaigns with barbarians, I don't think I've seen a single use of advantage on Strength checks - the damage bonus and especially the resistance, however, are constantly used.
WOW, that is REALLY surprising!!

Barbarians in my games constantly grapple and shove, not to mention breaking open things and lifting things and other uses where Strength ability checks are used.

The damage is nice, but sort of meh compared to the damage resistance in combat---THAT is HUGE! Probably the biggest part of rage.

Might be because of the requirements to keep range up.
I have once had a barbarian use it to rescue someone who was drowning.
I just handwaved that she had to receive damage or doing attacks each round.

Probably rage will give d4 to damage and strength checks in '24 edition. They are using bonus dice for such things recently. I like that. (I would also like adding d4 to strength checks for powerful build).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
arbarians in my games constantly grapple and shove, not to mention breaking open things and lifting things and other uses where Strength ability checks are used.

The barbarians around me have not used Rage outside of combat at all - the damage resistance, especially, is too valuable. And in combat, they are too busy beating things up to bother with opening and lifting - especially because if they spend a round opening or lifting, and not hitting or getting hit, they lose Rage.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The barbarians around me have not used Rage outside of combat at all - the damage resistance, especially, is too valuable. And in combat, they are too busy beating things up to bother with opening and lifting - especially because if they spend a round opening or lifting, and not hitting or getting hit, they lose Rage.
Of course, grappling and shoving are attacks, even if you are not making an attack roll. The rage restriction is just if "you haven't attacked a hostile creature", so those aren't an issue.

As for the opening and lifting, those are rarer certainly but have happened enough and have made significant impact to be useful when needed.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Probably rage will give d4 to damage and strength checks in '24 edition. They are using bonus dice for such things recently. I like that. (I would also like adding d4 to strength checks for powerful build).
Man, I hope not. I hate rolling extra dice and prefer flat bonuses. Like bless, I always forget to roll the d4, but a flat +2 bonus I can easily remember.

If they go to bonus dice, I'll just stick to the average, round down.

Remove ads