Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Guys, don't visit Arkansas if you have a hard time with people pronouncing things differently. How would you pronounce El Dorado? I bet it rhymes with Colorado as in El Dough-ra-dough. Not here. The town of El Dorado is pronounced El Duh-ray-dough. And don't even get me started on Stuttgart, Arkansas. The first time I pronounced it Shtut-gaart I thought the native Arkansan I was talking to was ready to fight me when he looked me square in the eyes and said, "That's Stutt-gart."
You're just describing how place names work across the entire English-speaking world. You don't have to go to Arkansas for that.

You're just describing how place names work across the entire English-speaking world. You don't have to go to Arkansas for that.

I think the one constant is English sounds different from one place to another. I think some people believe their regional accent is the default (because to them it sounds like it looks on the page). Variations are an easy way to know if people are local. It is always easy to tell folks are out of state here depending on how they pronounce cities like Peabody, Billerica, or Haverhill.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think the one constant is English sounds different from one place to another. I think some people believe their regional accent is the default (because to them it sounds like it looks on the page). Variations are an easy way to know if people are local. It is always easy to tell folks are out of state here depending on how they pronounce cities like Peabody, Billerica, or Haverhill.
Sure. And I can tell you're not from Southampton when you ask me the way to Bevois Valley. It's the same everywhere.

G

Guest 7034872

Okay, if we really want to get into it, why does every American I've ever met--including me--pronounce the word "comfortable" with the "t" coming before the "r?" Can someone explain that to me?? For that matter, why is "iron" always, always pronounced "eye-urn?" Hmm??? Is there some cornball way that this is supposed to make sense? And don't even get me started on this whole "new-kya-lurr" business.

"Aluminum" and "aluminium" I totally get--alternate pronunciations for alternate spellings.

Now, if we want to have some lengthy fun boxing each other's ears over pronunciation, howzabout the question of whether it's most correctly pronounced as "zee" or "zed?" That always riles 'em up...

Last edited by a moderator:

Now, if we want to have some lengthy fun boxing each other's ears over pronunciation, howzabout the question of whether it's mostly correctly pronounced as "zee" or "zed?" That always riles 'em up...

Me and my wife argue over this one constantly. The problem I have with Zed is it always brings the Bobcat Goldthwait character from Police Academy, Zed, to my mind. So A to Zed seems so very wrong to me

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Me and my wife argue over this one constantly. The problem I have with Zed is it always brings the Bobcat Goldthwait character from Police Academy, Zed, to my mind. So A to Zed seems so very wrong to me
1644733527529.png

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Okay, if we really want to get into it, why does every American I've ever met--including me--pronounce the word "comfortable" with the "t" coming before the "r?" Can someone explain that to me?? For that matter, why is "iron" always, always pronounced "eye-urn?" Hmm??? Is there some cornball way that this is supposed to make sense? And don't even get me started on this whole "new-kya-lurr" business.

Metathesis is a very common linguistic process, like palatalization or vowel reduction.

Now, if we want to have some lengthy fun boxing each other's ears over pronunciation, howzabout the question of whether it's most correctly pronounced as "zee" or "zed?" That always riles 'em up...

But a zed is just an abruptly truncated zeta. (And more importantly, it's frickin' French.)

Last edited:

Guys, don't visit Arkansas if you have a hard time with people pronouncing things differently. How would you pronounce El Dorado? I bet it rhymes with Colorado as in El Dough-ra-dough. Not here. The town of El Dorado is pronounced El Duh-ray-dough. And don't even get me started on Stuttgart, Arkansas. The first time I pronounced it Shtut-gaart I thought the native Arkansan I was talking to was ready to fight me when he looked me square in the eyes and said, "That's Stutt-gart."
From Southern Illinois

Eldarado el DUH ray Doh.
Cairo KAY roh
Vienna vie ANNA

Remember, the locals are ALWAYS right when it's their town.

"Aluminum" and "aluminium" I totally get--alternate pronunciations for alternate spellings.

What about saying HAY-ch but never pronouncing it in a damn word 'ampton

versus Ay-CH but actually pronouncing it. No... It's Hampton. lol

Luv ya Russ.

Remove ads