Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

niklinna

satisfied?
English speakers never pronounce that one right...
I pronounce both "coup de grâce" and "grognard" "right".

Of course, I studied French in high school and college.

(By the by, one of the three sets of quotatation marks above is different from the others! Do you know what they are called?)

Undrave

Legend
I pronounce both "coup de grâce" and "grognard" "right".

Of course, I studied French in high school and college.

(By the by, one of the three sets of quotatation marks above is different from the others! Do you know what they are called?)
Guillmets? « coup de grâce »

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Every time I hear this (just been listening to dungeoncast episode) it drives me nuts, like fingernails on a blackboard...there is a 'u' in it, so is "Centaur" like "Dinosaur".....aargh
Auto
Claustrophobia
Menopause
Plausible

The "ah" sound for AU is all over. Centahr is a reasonable way to pronounce it I think. As is pronouncing it like Dinosaur. It's not the only word like that, either. Is caramel pronounced care-uh-mel, car-mel, car-mul, car-uh-mel or some other way. I've heard all four.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
Auto
Claustrophobia
Menopause
Plausible

The "ah" sound for AU is all over.
The problem with doing examples that way, is you're assuming we pronounce all these other words the same. To me, the 'au' in all but one of the above sounds just like the one in 'centaur' and 'dinosaur'. Claustrophobia is the only odd one out. And for that I'd use an 'o' sound, not an 'ah' (though it is, of course, possible that we actually mean the same vowel there - talking about this stuff is not straightforward in written form unless we're all gonna learn the IPA!).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases