Why do Americans pronounce centaurs "centars"???

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The problem with doing examples that way, is you're assuming we pronounce all these other words the same. To me, the 'au' in all but one of the above sounds just like the one in 'centaur' and 'dinosaur'. Claustrophobia is the only odd one out. And for that I'd use an 'o' sound, not an 'ah' (though it is, of course, possible that we actually mean the same vowel there - talking about this stuff is not straightforward in written form unless we're all gonna learn the IPA!).
Where are you from if I might ask? I've never heard any of those words pronounced the way you say. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The problem with doing examples that way, is you're assuming we pronounce all these other words the same. To me, the 'au' in all but one of the above sounds just like the one in 'centaur' and 'dinosaur'. Claustrophobia is the only odd one out. And for that I'd use an 'o' sound, not an 'ah' (though it is, of course, possible that we actually mean the same vowel there - talking about this stuff is not straightforward in written form unless we're all gonna learn the IPA!).
Yeah, they're all "or" sounds except claustrophobia which is "clos". You can't compare how you say something to another thing you say, because people aren't any more likely to say the other thing the same as you as they do the first thing.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I like both pronunciations, Aluminium or Aluminum both solid nice sounding words and obvious so I know what is meant.

But like David Mitchell it’s when you Americans say “I could care less” when you mean “I couldn’t care less“ that I shake my head.

(at this point I wish I had the technological skills to attach the YouTube video but I don’t so I suggest watching David Mitchell’s soapbox short youtube video entitled Dear America… where he addresses this)

niklinna

satisfied?
But like David Mitchell it’s when you Americans say “I could care less” when you mean “I couldn’t care less“ that I shake my head.
Well, you see, this is just us Americans being, you know, sarcastic. Silly link aside, that is exaclty what it is—or was. It probably started with people saying "As if I could care less", and, people being creatures, decided to drop those words, and now people just say it straight, with no trace of sarcastic tone. And this is just one of the many ways language changes over time.

The French will say "T'inquiète", meaning, don't worry yourself, but there's no negative word there either! The nerve of those people, stealing our linguistic reduction.

(Also, David Mitchell is brilliant, love his stuff.)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
On the radio ads from the 50s and before, Protein is pronounce "Pro-tee-enn" instead of "Pro-teen"...

Edit: It's not quite as extreme as the radio ones, but you can here some of it in this TV ad from the 60s

around :11, and twice just after :29, and again a few times more.

Last edited:

Remove ads