D&D 5E Why do Monks only have d8 HP instead of d10 HP?

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Could it be the difference between a “brute” strength and mass based, armored, martial weapon wielding fighter and the more agile, technique based, unarmed or lightly armed, un-armed or lightly armed fighter?

Also, rogues (ninjas, at least) have excruciating martial training. Climbing; holding stillness.

TomB

tomBitonti

Adventurer
On second though … there are lots of strength and mass based martial artists. With training that emphasizes toughness and endurance. I’m thinking a pure martial artist ought to be a kind of fighter, with monk reserved for a mystic warrior.
TomB

Could it be the difference between a “brute” strength and mass based, armored, martial weapon wielding fighter and the more agile, technique based, unarmed or lightly armed, un-armed or lightly armed fighter?

This was always my understanding. The Barbarian has a bigger HD than the Fighter, because he's expected to take heavy blows and shrug them off. The Monk has a smaller HD, because he's supposed to be nimble and avoid blows instead of taking them head on.

Cool in theory. Stressful in practice.

Slit518

Adventurer

TomB
No, because you can be a Fighter with Leather Armor and a Rapier and still have more beefy HP.

Also, think of large folks like Nathan Jones; Dan "the Beast" Severn; Brock Lesnar; Cain Valasquez, etc.
They're large, most of them agile, and would fit under this Monk/Martial Artist category.

I mean Brock Lesnar had to cut down to 265 for example, and is very agile for a Heavyweight, said to move like a Middleweight. That is an 80 pound difference!

Whoops! I missed your 2nd part. I don't know, I like Monk turned into Martial Artist and divided into Disciplines instead of just being a Fighter sub-category.

Slit518

Adventurer
P.S.

I will admit, I am being a bit of a hypocrite, because in the setting I am creating Martial Artists are d8 instead of the d10 I am advocating for.

I have no good reason, except the fact that I have 12 classes -- 3 which are d10 HP, 3 which are d8 HP, and 3 which are d6 HP, the Martial Artist falling into the d8 category.

I guess I just like things a certain wait, I might have a weird thing with numbers :oops:

Arilyn

Hero
This was always my understanding. The Barbarian has a bigger HD than the Fighter, because he's expected to take heavy blows and shrug them off. The Monk has a smaller HD, because he's supposed to be nimble and avoid blows instead of taking them head on.

Cool in theory. Stressful in practice.
Yep. They should be harder to hit in order to fit the nimble warrior avoiding blows, but they often end up with a mediocre armour class.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I’m thinking there is a bit of overlapping function. Looking back to 3.5e, a fighter could get extra HP with the toughness feat. Or by putting more points on Con. Which ought to have meant dropping a fighter’s base HP to d8. Or, the base fighter should have d8 base and receive improved toughness as a bonus feat at first level. Or as part one of several starting packages, in the same way that Rangers did.
TomB

Icarii

Villager
I think its odd they have a D8 too. Sure, you want them to be more nimble, but their defenses are already going to be lower without the usual armor and such. I came up with a rework idea that includes them having a D10 as well as some improved defensive options, including the choice to redirect melee attacks as a "signature technique" separate to their projectile catching. Y'all should check it out!

Undrave

Legend

Also, rogues (ninjas, at least) have excruciating martial training. Climbing; holding stillness.

TomB
There's a bit of a bias (possibly even racist undertones) with the idea that a nimble martial artist isn't "strong": that kind of speed requires powerful muscles just the same.
Yep. They should be harder to hit in order to fit the nimble warrior avoiding blows, but they often end up with a mediocre armour class.
Yup. Monks have bad AC and bad HP and they're too MAD to be good at either.

Remove ads