D&D 5E Why do Monks only have d8 HP instead of d10 HP?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I’m just saying, if you want people to use the Dodge action, that’s how you do it.
No.

The way you make Dodge be used is to allow attacking while dodging.

The Dodge action is really fighting defensively and you should be able to attack while doing so. This is where the standard Dex/Wis monk should excel. The STR build should be the pure offensive FOB & OP fiend.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
No.

The way you make Dodge be used is to allow attacking while dodging.

The Dodge action is really fighting defensively and you should be able to attack while doing so. This is where the standard Dex/Wis monk should excel. The STR build should be the pure offensive FOB & OP fiend.
Maybe I'd let Dodge be an action/ BA for 1 Ki, but give the monk an improved feature that replicate Deflect Missile but for melee attack within 5 ft.

This would let you Dodge as an action, and use your Reaction to reduce the damage if you want to and even spend 1 Ki to return the attack against the attacker, Aikido(?) style!

Stalker0

Legend
Yes, you would provoke an Opportunity Attack for trying to circle the opponent, but if we are talking about medium creatures, all you had to do was a 5 ft step to flank them most of the time.
Literally playing in a very crunchy, tactical combat 3.5 game at the moment....and I can say this is not my experience.

The rogue and I make it a habit to flank, and even still its not always easy to get them in. Between that and the enemies the rogue can't sneak attack, the rogue loses sneak a fair amount.

5e SA is weaker, but it is significantly easier to land.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Literally playing in a very crunchy, tactical combat 3.5 game at the moment....and I can say this is not my experience.

The rogue and I make it a habit to flank, and even still its not always easy to get them in. Between that and the enemies the rogue can't sneak attack, the rogue loses sneak a fair amount.

This is absolute truth. Just having to have either advantage, an adjacent ally, or one of your special subclass means of sneak attack is way easier than getting Sneak Attack in either edition of Pathfinder.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

And even if flanking a medium creature in 3.5 is fairly easy - the flanking rules tend to leave characters a bit exposed. Either a fighter-type is moving around behind the opponent and getting themselves isolated amid the enemy's friends, or it's the rogue doing so. 5e does make it considerably easier.

Yes, I'm not denying the obvious. Getting sneak attack off is easier in 5e.
I just said it's a lot stronger in 3.5e

And please, don't ignore the very simple, very cheesy and very effective wand build I mentioned above, because that's just one of the ways to get guaranteed, safe, ranged sneak attacks.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Remember when Backstab was x*? Getting that x7 damage from an Thief Class Kit was great!

Oh, I deal 8 damage? Multiply that by 7, mofos!
I though only assassins got to x7, the others were capped at x5 (?).

This is the extent of my knowledge of 2e, based on BG:SoA :p

Remove ads