D&D General Why do we Round Down???

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Not to muddy the waters, but there is the houserule some use that after a Long Rest, you regain spent Hit Dice, up to a number of dice equal to half of the character's total number of them (rounded up). This boosts Hit Dice recovery on the odd levels (recovering up to 2 Hit Dice at 3rd level instead of just 1, for example).

pming

Legend
Hiya!
When you are dividing by two, and have to round, rounding normally is rounding up.
Not what I was taught. I was taught 0.5, round up; anything less, round down. Mind you, maybe this is a "cultural" thing? Seems strange for mathematics. I did most of my schooling in Canada (only K to Gr3 in US).

So "13.46 + 7.02 / 2" would be 10, not 11.

Anyone from other countries care to confirm or not?

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Hiya!

Not what I was taught. I was taught 0.5, round up; anything less, round down. Mind you, maybe this is a "cultural" thing? Seems strange for mathematics. I did most of my schooling in Canada (only K to Gr3 in US).

So "13.46 + 7.02 / 2" would be 10, not 11.

Anyone from other countries care to confirm or not?

^_^

Paul L. Ming
I believe Umbran was assuming the number being divided by 2 was an integer (since, you know, D&D 5e only works in integers), in which case the result would either be another integer or X.5, which you would round up under the rule you list here.

jasper

Rotten DM
Round Down if over 01 but .49 But Round UP if over 01 but .50 to .99. That how one the accountants told to do. We round and round until he discovered If less than .50 round down and Round up if .50 or >

Remove ads