• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you choose D&D?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I should have added that there is also an emotional/nostalgic connection between me and D&D. Fond childhood memories, etc. Not the kind of nostalgia that makes me want to play 1E or 2E, mind you. But the game just tickles a spot in me that no other game can reach.

Imaro

Legend
You know I was reading over these replies and noticed that the biggest reason is "finding people to play". I find this interesting, and a little disturbing, as I have gamed with four groups in my time playing rpg's and experienced a different situation.

The first group I played in was strictly D&D(okay actually it was a D&D/AD&D hybrid)...in fact I was in grammar school and didn't even know other rpg's existed.

The second group I joined in high school, was alot older than me and played a variety of games(Chill, DC Heroes, Shadowrun and yes...Rifts) along with D&D. It was this group that probably shaped my awareness and interest in other games outside of D&D.

The third group was again a pure D&D 3.0 group, but I enjoyed it enough at first, and it wasn't my game to run. However after a while I grew a little bored with the same game over and over and ended up dropping out of the group.

This was when I decided to form my own group, We started out playing D&D but have since branched out into other games and have found we enjoy some games better, and other games not so much, as D&D 3.5.

I guess the point of all this is I really am glad I ran into that second group and had a DM who was willing to try other rpg's. It widened my horizons and opened me up to new things. I guess that's why I don't run D&D exclusively, I want the people I introduce to the hobby to get that same perspective and variety I recieved in that group. If they love D&D and choose to stick with it that's great, if they don't like D&D but get the chance to play something they do like and continue in the hobby that's great to. Anyway just a thought on the replies.

EDIT: Another thought, how do more games get played and introduced if everyone runs D&D because it's easier to find players? Isn't this a repeating cycle? Not saying anythings wrong with D&D but I'm just pondering this.

Imaro said:
You know I was reading over these replies and noticed that the biggest reason is "finding people to play". I find this interesting, and a little disturbing...
I always found it kind of surprising. I've simply never had a problem finding players, but it seems to be endemic.

Imaro said:
You know I was reading over these replies and noticed that the biggest reason is "finding people to play". I find this interesting, and a little disturbing, as I have gamed with four groups in my time playing rpg's and experienced a different situation.

Some of us aren't charismatic, and can't mention RPGs due to the stigma against it. I found my current gaming group almost through random chance. Also, I hear the number of gamers, compared to the population of a country, is quite small. I think I heard 750,000 people play in the US, which has a population of 300 million. (I have no idea where I heard that figure, but I think that's believable.) Does anyone have sales figures for the PH?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Imaro said:
So tell me...why D&D?
Why 3e/'Od20', anyway:

* System-wise, near-transparency and near-symmetry (tinkered with a bit for just about total transparency and symmetry, because I prefer things that way. IOW, 'monster' may as well have disappeared as a game term (for instance), and rules sections make sense up and down the line. . . even relative to one another ;) .)

* Immense scope backed by useful mechanics (especially when including 3rd-party products [and house rules], which I do.)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Imaro said:

Well, several years ago, it was very easy for me to find players for any number of systems. With advent of D&D 3e, I found that interest in other systems waned significantly where I lived at the time -- if you didn't have an established group and wanted to attract new players, it was either D&D or WoD (oWoD, the nWoD hadn't been released yet). Lately (and locally) I've found that it's pretty much D&D or nothing, if you're in that situation -- that or run a game online (in which case, I've found non-D&D campaigns to be more viable).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads