D&D 5E Why do you use Floating ASI's (other than power gaming)? [+]

Scribe

Legend
Otherwise, it doesn't mean anything in the conversation.
The conversation had shifted.
Yes, you really are. Otherwise, you wouldn't even be bringing up optimization here. You'd be discussing creative chargen.
I was not the only one discussing optimization, at all.
You know. It's that thing where a gamer can make a character they want without having to stick to "optimized" race/class builds.
"relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work."

Floating or Fixed, has nothing to do with this.

Because you have never said "it's refreshingly honest that you say you like floating ASIs to enhance your creativity."
Because I dont agree.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Actually, here is a thought that might help some people understand the difference between "need a 16" and "find a sixteen more compelling than darkvision and a few flavor abilities."

If, instead of floating ASIs, the change had been to allow the fixed +2 or a feat of your choice (even if only the ones that don't give +1) I would play races far more often. I'd happily start with a 14 if I could also take Mobile, or Mage Slayer, or Lucky, or Shield Master.

(Yes, I know some of those are considered not-so-great, but they are fun as heck.)
This is something I've been thinking about, give each race +2 to a specific stat that the race exemplifies and then an ASI like you get from levelling. It can be spent on a feat or split between two stats as desired.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That’s accurate, if you also got +X magic items on schedule. In heroic tier that 18 was important as a safety net for the gaps between treasure parcels.

Right. Pre-Fixed-Math-4e, you could run a 16 in late herioic/early paragon if your DM gave you magic items on schedule, your secondary was at least 14, and your strikers and controllers took their class, race, and type damage feats, .

But if you took fun feats or your items were random, you really wanted that 18. Because paragon play was grindy.

It's not as bad in 5e. However T3 can get grindy if you do 6-8 encounters with many nonoptimised PCs. You will still finish the adventure day but it might take you double the sessions.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is something I've been thinking about, give each race +2 to a specific stat that the race exemplifies and then an ASI like you get from levelling. It can be spent on a feat or split between two stats as desired.
I think this would only work if you couldn’t put the ASI in the same ability that gets the fixed +2. Otherwise you’re just increasing the baseline from 16 or 14-and-a-feat to 18 or 16-and-a-feat, and still leaving that baseline out of reach of race/class combinations that don’t have the fixed +2 in the prime requisite.

Faolyn

(she/her)
The conversation had shifted.
Not the one we are having.

I was not the only one discussing optimization, at all.
Didn't say you were. But you continued to discuss it instead of focusing on creativity, or on non-optimized reasons for ASIs. Both of which I've spoken to you about in the past, and both of which you've ignored.

"relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work."

Floating or Fixed, has nothing to do with this.
Chargen is a type of art--it's getting your idea down on paper, after all. I

Unless you're saying that creativity isn't a part of chargen at all?

Because I dont agree.
So you don't agree that people are being honest when they say they want the floating ASIs for creative purposes?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think this would only work if you couldn’t put the ASI in the same ability that gets the fixed +2. Otherwise you’re just increasing the baseline from 16 or 14-and-a-feat to 18 or 16-and-a-feat, and still leaving that baseline out of reach of race/class combinations that don’t have the fixed +2 in the prime requisite.
The rules I have preclude you from doing that, though with the correct feat you could.

Scribe

Legend
Not the one we are having.
The one about design intent??
But you continued to discuss it instead of focusing on creativity, or on non-optimized reasons for ASIs. Both of which I've spoken to you about in the past, and both of which you've ignored.
Because I dont agree Creativity is a concern Fixed vs Floating.
Chargen is a type of art--it's getting your idea down on paper, after all. I

Unless you're saying that creativity isn't a part of chargen at all?
Certainly, and it remains one regardless of Fixed or Floating.
So you don't agree that people are being honest when they say they want the floating ASIs for creative purposes?
I didnt say that.

Scribe

Legend
I see. So in the 5th to 12th level range you prefer a 75% / 50% / 25% chance rather than a 95% / 70% / 45% chance. Interesting.
I'm not sure I follow. Considering your % remains static if you continue to increase your bonus, I've lost you on where those percentages are coming from.

I believe 60%, without Bless, is fine, but thats a personal thing.

Remove ads