D&D 5E Why do you use Floating ASI's (other than power gaming)? [+]

Scribe

Legend
Why is it you refuse to believe that players who want floating ASIs don't want so they won't lose?
Can you stop making claims that I've said something I have not?

I'm not saying anything about your motivations here, I'm talking about design intent.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Which is just weird. Is it a common problem that monsters don't die fast enough?
Quoting a post a second time now that I'm not at work.

In 4e,a 16 in your primary score and a 14 in you secondary was standard. Thats what the standard array and point but gave you. Itwas seen as fine to roll with a 16.A 18 was unneccesary but good. a 20was right now powergaming.

Problem. WOTC screwed up the math post Heroic.

Because the monsters had too many HP, getting all the accuracy and damage buff became the norm post level 8 or so. Powergaaming for damage and stacking bonuses was the norm and not going extra. So WOTC was forced to redo the math.

And think this may have happened in 5e as well. You might not need a 16 at level 1 but you might need a 20, a +2 magic weapon/armor, or some OP feat by level 10.

People WILL look at your level 8 PC with at 14 primary and 2 "flavor" feats funny if you aren't running a tier 1 class like wizard, bard, wizard, paladin or wizard.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Can you stop making claims that I've said something I have not?

I'm not saying anything about your motivations here, I'm talking about design intent.
I have repeatedly explained to you the many reasons for wanting a floating ASI in any stat. You have repeatedly gone back to the idea that you don't "need" a 16 in a stat, ignoring everything I and others have said about it--like what you're doing right now by talking about "design intent."

Scribe

Legend
I have repeatedly explained to you the many reasons for wanting a floating ASI in any stat. You have repeatedly gone back to the idea that you don't "need" a 16 in a stat, ignoring everything I and others have said about it--like what you're doing right now by talking about "design intent."
Your reasons are your reasons.

I'm not asking for your reasons. Heck, I wasnt talking to you at all here, but a few other folks as we discussed if there ever was confirmation of a 'point of balance'.

You injected your own perception of me telling you supposedly why you want Floating, when I did no such thing.

I've actually noted multiple times that I find TwoSix has made good arguments IN FAVOUR of Floating.

Your indignation is misplaced.

I'll be honest, this one always baffles me. Do players at the table not say their rolls out loud? Like "Ok, I rolled a 14, so my to-hit is an 18." It's pretty trivial to figure out everyone's stats within a session or so.

We use Dex to decide who goes first in a tied initiative, (maybe it's just a house rule, I can't remember) so Dex is the main stat that everybody else at the table knows for each other's character.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I vastly prefer feats over stat bonuses, so it's not uncommon for my characters to max out at 16. I've only rarely had an 18 and 20? Maybe once. So for me being able to start with a 16 is nice because it's probably not getting any higher.

But it does depend. As mentioned earlier I've had characters with 14s in their main stat. Floating ASIs give me some extra flexibility.
Yeah I do this, too. It’s one reason I want to start with a sixteen.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Actually, here is a thought that might help some people understand the difference between "need a 16" and "find a sixteen more compelling than darkvision and a few flavor abilities."

If, instead of floating ASIs, the change had been to allow the fixed +2 or a feat of your choice (even if only the ones that don't give +1) I would play races far more often. I'd happily start with a 14 if I could also take Mobile, or Mage Slayer, or Lucky, or Shield Master.

(Yes, I know some of those are considered not-so-great, but they are fun as heck.)

Faolyn

(she/her)
Your reasons are your reasons.

I'm not asking for your reasons. Heck, I wasnt talking to you at all here, but a few other folks as we discussed if there ever was confirmation of a 'point of balance'.
And I wasn't even talking to you. I pointed out that the sample characters WotC had put up all had 16s or 17s in their main scores. You chose to reply to me.

You injected your own perception of me telling you supposedly why you want Floating, when I did no such thing.
You have. Repeatedly. Telling me on other threads and telling others on this one.

I've actually noted multiple times that I find TwoSix has made good arguments IN FAVOUR of Floating.
I guess the key to winning you over would be to talk about it in terms of MMOs.

Scribe

Legend
You have. Repeatedly. Telling me on other threads and telling others on this one.
Quote me where I said that people only want Floating so they can live longer, or wont 'lose'.

I mean it should be a given nobody wants to play to lose, that really shouldnt be a debate here, but feel free to find where I said that.

EDIT: I just looked, at a glance no post of mine in this thread is telling people why they want Floating.

Last edited:

Remove ads