D&D 5E Why does no one play Goliath?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
As much as I love, and I mean LOVE playing melee characters (when I get to actually play that is) I just tend to stick to a human. On occasion an Elf or Dragonborn. The big mountain dwelling powerhouse should be an easy go to.

I am just weird I guess. I am a human so I play a human.

Ganymede81

First Post
Huh? What's awkward about taking mythology from the Abrahamic tradition (Judaism, Christianity, Islam)? No better or worse than any other mythology.

It is awkward in the same sense labeling Tieflings as Satans and labeling Aasimar as Gabriels would be.

And "goliath" actually is more clear about what the race is than "firbolg". Go down any street in the USA and ask folks, "Who is Goliath?" and they'll probably all give the same answer, "The big guy who fought David in the Bible." Then ask them, "What is a firbolg?" And then get mostly blank stares.

I'm not sure the mythological literacy of the average person on the street is of paramount relevance here.

However, I do think the firbolg and other "giant-kin" from D&D's past would make good goliath subraces! DM's Guild, here I come! Woot-woot!

That'd be a way to fit Firbolg, Verbeeg, and Fomorian all in at once.

Dire Bare

Legend
It is awkward in the same sense labeling Tieflings as Satans and labeling Aasimar as Gabriels would be.

Meh. I'm not worried about any of my Jewish, Christian, or Muslim friends getting offended over the use of "goliath". Or some council or other of "angry mothers" coming after WotC. I would be concerned if tieflings were renamed "satans"! "Gabriel" isn't so bad, as it is biblical but also a common name, "nephilim" would be a great biblical name for the aasimar race, and I wouldn't be so terribly concerned there either.

I'm not sure the mythological literacy of the average person on the street is of paramount relevance here.

Oh, but it is. New guy sits down at my table, and one of the other players says, "Hey, you should totally play the goliath race!" New guy is going to say, "Huh, is that a race of really big dudes?" If instead my player says, "Hey, you should totally play the firbolg race!" New guy is more likely to say, "What's a firbolg?"

Not that "firbolg" would be a BAD choice for the half-giant D&D race, it certainly has a history in the game. But "goliath" is a pretty good one-word descriptor of what the race is all about.

That'd be a way to fit Firbolg, Verbeeg, and Fomorian all in at once.

Yesh!

Ganymede81

First Post
Meh. I'm not worried about any of my Jewish, Christian, or Muslim friends getting offended over the use of "goliath". Or some council or other of "angry mothers" coming after WotC. I would be concerned if tieflings were renamed "satans"! "Gabriel" isn't so bad, as it is biblical but also a common name, "nephilim" would be a great biblical name for the aasimar race, and I wouldn't be so terribly concerned there either.

I think there was a miscommunication.

My issue with naming them Goliath is two fold.

One, it ignores that giant-kin have already been explored, and there were already a number of ripe examples to pick from (Firbolg, Verbeeg, Fomorian, etc.).

Two, using the name Goliath, while certainly evocative of strength, is like labeling a race of half-giants as Stronglings or Strongy-Strongertons.

I was not objecting to the cultural implications.

I'm going to jump in to disagree here. The origin of the word "goliath" comes from the Philistine giant that was killed, but it has a more general (and generic) meaning now.

I once heard Goliath used to describe some especially big cocktail shrimp.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
There's only one true Goliath!

davey+and+goliath+1.jpg

Dire Bare

Legend
I think there was a miscommunication. My issue with naming them Goliath is two fold.

One, it ignores that giant-kin have already been explored, and there were already a number of ripe examples to pick from (Firbolg, Verbeeg, Fomorian, etc.).

Two, using the name Goliath, while certainly evocative of strength, is like labeling a race of half-giants as Stronglings or Strongy-Strongertons. I once heard Goliath used to describe some especially big cocktail shrimp.

Nah, not a miscommunication, but rather a conversation!

Choosing to use a term new to D&D, like "goliath", rather than an existing half-giant racial name, like "firbolg" is simply a choice, neither right nor wrong. If you prefer "firbolg", of course go with it in your campaign. However, goliaths aren't identical to older edition firbolgs, and had WotC used "firbolg" they might have upset folks in the same way that merging elves and eladrin did, or changing what a deva was in 4E.

In fact, goliaths, despite filling the "half-giant" archetype, are something entirely new to D&D! The name is new, the look of the race is new, the culture is new. They don't really resemble firbolg, verbeeg, fomorians, Athasian half-giants, or any other previous "half-giant" race. So, why go with one of those older names that already "belong" to something else?

In regular world parlance, "goliath" definitely means "something big". And it is kinda close to naming your campaign's villian, "Evael Grimdark of Shadowland", although not quite to that extreme. But, as D&D is a game (mostly) of epic fantasy, I'm okay with that. In fact, I think that "goliath" strikes a nice balance between being descriptive and being campy. In my campaign, "goliaths" are what humans call them, they have a different word in their own language (one I haven't made up yet, cause I suck at that).

AkeishaRoberts

Explorer
While I have not played a Goliath character as yet, it is on my to-do list. :)

I saw a rather nice write-up on them in the first issue of Dragon+ Magazine and it can be viewed/read online here (web page format):

Profile: Goliaths

[http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/art...loadFresh=true&title=01_09_Profile: Goliaths]

Synopsis: Related to giants, this competitive and hardy race makes its fifth edition debut in Elemental Evil. Chris Lindsay highlights their strengths and weaknesses and offers up a sample playable character.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
The other thing to remember is why they made Goliaths in the first place

That was to not do the same mistake they did with the Half Ogre race and make them Large, so Goliaths are a medium race, built to be as large as possible. Firbolgs and Formori already existed in 3.5E by this time

Verbeeg's didn't, but let's be honest, Verbeeg is kind of an awful name

(Plus honestly naming an entire race after a single creature is something they do a lot. I mean, y'know, Lamia, Pegasus and Medusa are all singulars who became a species. Goliaths are nothing new)

Remove ads