Why does spellcasting provoke OA?

Ebon Shar

Explorer
Since all the classes have been equalized, why do spellcasters suffer from having their powers provoke opportunity attacks? Other than the source of their powers, how do they differ from the powers of any other class? Is this just a legacy rule from 3.5? It makes little sense and adds an additional burden to "spell casters" that other, equally effective classes do not have.

Spells don't automatically draw OAs. Ranged and Area attacks draw OAs, whether they're magic or martial; Melee and Close attacks do not draw OAs, whether they're magic or martial.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Since all the classes have been equalized, why do spellcasters suffer from having their powers provoke opportunity attacks? Other than the source of their powers, how do they differ from the powers of any other class? Is this just a legacy rule from 3.5? It makes little sense and adds an additional burden to "spell casters" that other, equally effective classes do not have.
Any class that makes a ranged or area attack will provoke an OA.

Any class that makes a Close or Melee attack will not.

Your complaint is misguided.

Cheers, -- N

ryryguy

First Post
So, as to why ranged/area attacks draw AoO's... I think the primary purpose is to help divide the battlefield into front line and rear line. Front line combatants have mainly melee attacks. Ranged/area attackers who are too close to the front line get whacked. There's a whole lot of tactical play opened up around getting to the enemy's back line and protecting your own.

Note that a successful opportunity attack on someone making a ranged/area attack generally does not disrupt the attack. In that respect a 4e spellslinger is doing a little better than the 3.5 guy.

If you're not asking about why the rules are designed in a certain way, but instead wanting some "real world", "logical" explanation for why ranged/area attacks provoke opportunity attacks, personally I'm sick of that whole discussion. But maybe someone else can provide something.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
As to why ranged and area attack provoke OAs. I believe for the most part, ranged and area attack involve actions that drop your guard like pointing with your wand. Melee and close attacks are intended to be done near enemies and involve keeping your guard up or, in Thunderwave's case, shooting "energy death from every fiber of your being" I don't think the guy exploding in fire or sonic energy is given you an opportunity to attack before you're too busy flying backward like Team Rocket at the end of a Pokemon episode (or trying hard not to).

Note that a successful opportunity attack on someone making a ranged/area attack generally does not disrupt the attack. In that respect a 4e spellslinger is doing a little better than the 3.5 guy.
I think they're a heckuva lot better off. They don't need to dump points into Concentration and they don't lose spells when casting defensively. They just cast Close spells.

If you're not asking about why the rules are designed in a certain way, but instead wanting some "real world", "logical" explanation for why ranged/area attacks provoke opportunity attacks, personally I'm sick of that whole discussion. But maybe someone else can provide something.
I'm getting a bit sick of it too.

Why do ranged attacks from AoO? The simplest explaination is the most obvious - to provide a reason for ranged fighters to stay out of melee.

DracoSuave

First Post
Cause when someone is trying very hard to stab you with his blade, it is hard to dodge his eagerness to cut you while your attention is on some guy across the battlefield who earned the wrath of your bow.

Common sense, really.

Remove ads