D&D 5E Why don't more classes grant bonus skills?

Li Shenron

Legend
Why doesn't the Wizard get proficiency in Arcana for free?
Why doesn't the Druid or Ranger get Nature or Survival?
Why doesn't the Beast Master doesn't get Animal Handling?

Because they are not needed. You can do the same things without the skill proficiency, you just don't get the bonus.

If you also want the bonus, use up one of your skill proficiencies. But if you don't care for the bonus, maybe because you already have a high ability score, at least you can choose.

Most players will choose that iconic skill proficiency anyway, that's true. That means that maybe the PHB should really grant all wizards fixed Arcana proficiency + one skill of choice. Just like it could have been better, it could also have been worse. So maybe the current rule ain't that bad.

And by the way, I have played both wizards without Arcana and clerics without Religion skill proficiencies and they were fine.

FireLance

Legend
One mechanic I've been thinking about is a "Class Skill" feature which works similar to the Bard's Jack of All Trades: at 2nd level, every class gets a bonus equal to half the character's proficiency bonus to all the skills they could have chosen to be proficient at 1st level that they are not already proficient with. So if a 2nd level Paladin is proficient in Persuasion and Insight from his class and proficient in Athletics and Intimidate from his Soldier background, he also adds half his proficiency bonus (+1 at 2nd level) to Medicine and Religion checks.

My only concern with this approach is that it affects the balance between classes: Rogue and Ranger get relatively more benefits, and Bard doesn't get anything.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
One mechanic I've been thinking about is a "Class Skill" feature which works similar to the Bard's Jack of All Trades: at 2nd level, every class gets a bonus equal to half the character's proficiency bonus to all the skills they could have chosen to be proficient at 1st level that they are not already proficient with. So if a 2nd level Paladin is proficient in Persuasion and Insight from his class and proficient in Athletics and Intimidate from his Soldier background, he also adds half his proficiency bonus (+1 at 2nd level) to Medicine and Religion checks.

My only concern with this approach is that it affects the balance between classes: Rogue and Ranger get relatively more benefits, and Bard doesn't get anything.
I think this idea has some merit.

I don't see a problem with Rogues and Rangers benefiting more. Rogues are supposed to be skill monkeys, and Rangers are generally considered lack-luster in 5E PHB.

Bards already gain this benefit to all skills, but also to tools and kits and Initiative and so on, so I don't think Bards are missing out on anything. ;)

I would do some adjustments as well, since three classes have arcana. :(

But, I rare take bout Athletics and Acrobatics for the same character... it is usually one or the other, not both, by YMMV. :)

I would have loved Warlocks getting 'Planes', Wizards 'Arcana' and Sorcerers 'Concentration' but those options arent 5e options sadly.

Not all 5E warlocks are Planes-related, though. Wouldn't make much sense for a Fey Pact, for example.
Counterpoint: the Feywild, where fey live, is a plane, distinct from the material plane.

OTOH, (if I were giving bonus skills) I wouldn't give a bonus knowledge to all warlocks - I'd have it vary by Pact Boon, and Tomelocks would get a choice of knowledges.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Counterpoint: the Feywild, where fey live, is a plane, distinct from the material plane.
Oh right, I forgot about that.

Still, "planes" assumes something about the setting, in a way that "arcana" and "concentration" don't. It might not fit in everyone's game, especially for those who homebrew.

I remember how annoyed this board was about the implication that psionics was related to the outer planes, in part because they felt it was implying too much about the setting.

Oh right, I forgot about that.

Still, "planes" assumes something about the setting, in a way that "arcana" and "concentration" don't. It might not fit in everyone's game, especially for those who homebrew.

I remember how annoyed this board was about the implication that psionics was related to the outer planes, in part because they felt it was implying too much about the setting.
That's definitely a fair point: which knowledge skills make sense is setting-dependent (although not having any outer planes screws with a handful of spells as well, those are specific enough to address individually) - and therefore probably shouldn't be baked into general class rules more than they are already.

Frankly the existence of a semi-official expertise feat is enough to cover all of my remaining issues with the skill system in 5e. It might not be my ideal skill system, but I haven't seen a change to 5e's setup that would be enough of an improvement to be worth the effort.

I think it does, it makes it less unique and less special and devalues it. There are only 18 skills in the game and if everyone gets 6 or more feats you are going to have a lot of overlap in the party.

Why should the fighter be able to pick up nature or the sorcerer get to pick up stealth for free? If they want those things instead just muclticlass to ranger or rogue respectively or take the skilled feat. Why should they get the extra skills without doing that and while still optimizing their character for something else?
I don't think multiclassing is a good option for picking up an extra skill. I'm not a big fan of class dips - especially for cherry-picking specific abilities. It would be nice to have a way of picking a skill without grabbing a whole other class.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't think multiclassing is a good option for picking up an extra skill. I'm not a big fan of class dips - especially for cherry-picking specific abilities. It would be nice to have a way of picking a skill without grabbing a whole other class.
Technically there is the special awards section in the DMG where if you find someone to train you in the skill you can learn new skills (pg. 231)

1595255049877.png

Of course it is rarely incomplete, like much of 5E, but it is there to develop if you want.

Remove ads