D&D 5E Why don't more classes grant bonus skills?

I don't think multiclassing is a good option for picking up an extra skill. I'm not a big fan of class dips - especially for cherry-picking specific abilities. It would be nice to have a way of picking a skill without grabbing a whole other class.
There's a couple of feats for this this. but some people consider a feat a bigger cost than a dip into another class.

There's a couple of feats for this this. but some people consider a feat a bigger cost than a dip into another class.
Yup.

A dip is a bigger pay-off. Besides, you have to wait 4 levels for a feat or you can take a level dip any time. A feat that gives nothing but a skill is of lower value than one that gives a stat boost and feats are relatively few and far between so there's meta-game pressure to take one that is better than a skill boost.

one level in rogue gives you two skills with expertise and only puts off your ASI by one level and gives you Thief Tools and sneak attack. Taking the 'skilled' feat (Is that what it's called) is inferior in every way. Better to put the ASI off by one level to boost a stat or take a better feat.

So, instead of having a tool to make learning a skill while adventuring possible, you have to do a full level dip into something else which I find stretches the justification for multiclassing.

Worrgrendel

Explorer
Technically there is the special awards section in the DMG where if you find someone to train you in the skill you can learn new skills (pg. 231)

View attachment 123989

Of course it is rarely incomplete, like much of 5E, but it is there to develop if you want.

The PHB offers something similar as well:

Training
You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools. Your DM might allow additional training options.

First, you must find an instructor willing to teach you. The DM determines how long it takes, and whether one or more ability checks are required.

The training lasts for 250 days (steep for most campaigns) and costs 1 gp per day. After you spend the requisite amount of time and money, you learn the new language or gain proficiency with the new tool.

Xanathar's expanded on this buy cutting down on the time to train (10 workweeks or 50 days, reduced by 1 workweek per point of Intelligence modifier) but introduced "complications".

I know by the book this is limited to languages and tool proficiencies but it does have the caveat: Your DM might allow additional training options.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Animal Handling is on the barbarian class list, Nature is on the druid and ranger class list, etc. So maybe a cleaner way to tweak this would be to let all characters pick X extra skill(s) from their class skill list at Xth level. X and Y will vary to suit the needs of your campaign; I'd probably go with X=1 and Y=1 but I can see how some low-combat, high-skill campaigns might need more.

Remove ads