D&D General Why Fantasy? Goin' Medieval in D&D

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
The overlap between how American fantasy conceptions came about in D&D, and how America created a mythic and fantastical "Old West...."

.....are not a coincidence. IMO.

(Remember that many of the people who created D&D in the 70s and 80s grew up consuming Westerns when they were younger)
No coincidence is correct. It has been mentioned the success of Star Wars by George Lucas, was influenced by other genres, like samurai films from Akira Kurosawa, and from Westerns by Sergio Leone. And in similar fashion, it has been mentioned, Appendix N in the AD&D DMG showcases the influences Gary Gygax and others had with the fantasy genre D&D was set upon, which included Lovecraft horror and Boot Hill too.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The only ones I can think of are Pro Wrestling RPGs - which really pushes the boundaries of what I'd call a "sport" but as a "soap opera stunt show" can make a pretty good environment for an RPG.
I kind of want to find a copy of the World Wrestling Federation Basic Adventure Game after listening to Spoony's review of it (he rates it highly compared to the d20-based Know Your Role! game).

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
Conan looks like a powerful action hero to me! He doesn't have superpowers, he is just better than everyone else. Which is really even more fantastical.

And there are plenty of mighty heroes in Tolkien, he just chooses not to focus on those characters.
Many Louis L'Amour cowboys were heroes in my books.

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
Why bother, some tables excepted, D&D is not exploring any history. The medieval period has been beaten into something that we can all use. Where a potboy can mouth off to a lord and survive the experience (again there may be tables where this is not so) and it is a thing of its own.
It has a much resemblance to anything historic as the "Mystic Knights of Tír na nÓg" has to the Book of Conquests
Or the Knights that say "Ni"!

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
It certainly could exist. Action Heroes can do whatever the plot requires them to do. They have far fewer limits than superheroes, whose abilities are limited by their powerset.

Who would win in a fight between Conan and Hercules? Conan, because Hercules only has superstrength, whereas Conan's abilities are always just enough for him to win.
Bruce Willis in Die Hard films, Sgt. Rock WW2 comic, Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, Reacher, Nightwing aka Robin, and...RAMBO!

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
I bother. I like history. Even if it is infused with fantastic elements like actual magic, or gods that actually exist and intervene. Fantasy needs to be grounded in some semblance of historic verisimilitude to have any appeal for me. And since—and this is a purely personal opinion of mine—I don't like magitech and steampunk, I prefer going back instead of forward in time. I just can't stand swashbuckling musketeers riding magic trains and wearing laced velvet shirts.

Something like Design Mechanism's "Mythic Britain/Logres", TLG's "Codex Nordica/Germania/Slavorum/Celtarum" or Mongoose's "Vikings of Legend" is right up my alley.
You might be interested in the fantasy series with Percy Jackson, The Olympeans and Heroes of Olympus, are modern fantasy stories based on old world gods of mythology, walking around present day Earth. A third series is in the works too. The film 'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief', may be geared to teenagers, but may be easier to watch with family than the light read of the novels, which are good compared to D&D novel writers.

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
I don't like arguments like this because they read as, "you and most everyone who posts here are irrelevant to modern D&D, so stop cluttering up the internet with your outdated opinions".
How is his comment argumentative?
Quote, "Good for you but aside from knowledge of the period in question D&D as is, caters to you." To me, your response generates an argument. Lol. The first guy wants historical theme, thus D&D Medieval themes will work for him, or he can change setting to his own theme with work.
And I do not mean to begin an argument. Just pointing out the original comment.

Last edited:

Gravenhurst48

Explorer
Honesty pretty much every RPG company up until Wizards decided to try a different model with D&D 5e. Every one I know of at least.
Yes, Open Gaming License has flooded the market with rules for everything WOTC won't create themselves. Too many IMO. But, many historical fantasy Medieval themed downloads and print options are available from DRIVETHRU RPG, will keep many of us old schoolers happy if not just create your own material now or purchase from new RPG developers. Kickstarter comes to mind with new and familiar gaming campaign wants.

Remove ads