D&D 5E why has none of the wisdom races caught on?

Scruffy nerf herder

Toaster Loving AdMech Boi
Do you have any suggestions?

Seeing as you're asking so politely 🙂 of course I'll return the gesture and explain a little about what I do.

Human and elf make good base templates for races. A few minor mechanical tweaks for flavor and some cosmetic changes and presto, you've got DM support for whatever wacky thing your player took right out of the monster manual.

I'm not kidding oftentimes when I start a campaign any more I send them stuff like Mordenkainen's Tome, Volo's Guide, the MM and tell the players they can pick from basically any of that, within reason.

Mindflayers, duergar, orcs, sea hags, I honestly don't care what the players are. It all depends on the setting and campaign.

And really it makes almost no mechanical difference.

Edit: of course this extends to giving a player a race option with +2 Wis, sorry for not mentioning that. It's not going to break the game at all so surely it should be allowed and there are plenty of options in the bestiary that a +2 Wis bonus would be super appropriate for.

how is a cleric genric it is a question of faith dwarves minored in faith as they are mostly just grumpy imaging what could be done with one that majored the interplay of fanaticism vs more calm forms and that is before you look and the verities of human faith mix them in a blender and see what falls out.

For the dwarf stuff there's a trope called "Our Dwarves Are All The Same". Being grumpy? That's already part of the dwarf trope. There's certainly no mechanical hook for being grumpy.
elves are said to be in tune with nature what tolkien seem to have meant was the basics of environmentalism what about something that never left nature not in tune but part as cruel or as benevolent as nature?

Make them more fey? But again, how is this mechanically represented? You could play an elf cleric or druid like that without any change in the rules, yet they're not popular combos.
then what would make a good monk race? other than human which is cheating as they are made to fit everything in them perfectly.

Probably nothing, to be honest. Anything that would just make a superior monk would probably be an overpowered race. Vulcans (from Star Trek) would make superior mystic monks. They're (at minimum) stronger and wiser than humans, and probably have a stat bonus in everything except Charisma! But of course Vulcans are seen as overpowered, for good reason :)

And even then a good monk race (such as the githzerai) need to be cool enough to catch lightning in a bottle, and githzerai aren't cool enough.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've always wondered why Halflings, if made closer to Hobbits, dont have +2 Wis.

Sure, they are more nimble than hulking creatures by the fact that their are lite, but I dont think they are as graceful as elves or some flying creatures.

But, they are quite strong-willed, hard to scare, no-nonsense, down-to-earth, communal, good with animal handling and general bushcraft.

Sounds wisdom-y to me!

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I've been slowly converting 5e races like to the Level Up origin system lately. Its a much better way to make race/species/heritage matter.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
For the dwarf stuff there's a trope called "Our Dwarves Are All The Same". Being grumpy? That's already part of the dwarf trope. There's certainly no mechanical hook for being grumpy.

Make them more fey? But again, how is this mechanically represented? You could play an elf cleric or druid like that without any change in the rules, yet they're not popular combos.

Probably nothing, to be honest. Anything that would just make a superior monk would probably be an overpowered race. Vulcans (from Star Trek) would make superior mystic monks. They're (at minimum) stronger and wiser than humans, and probably have a stat bonus in everything except Charisma! But of course Vulcans are seen as overpowered, for good reason :)

And even then a good monk race (such as the githzerai) need to be cool enough to catch lightning in a bottle, and githzerai aren't cool enough.
what I meant was the dwarves are not the cleric race nothing is.

fae are to people like for nature thing more along the lines of a humanity that does not seek to change its place in nature as we did just as smart and resourceful but without the desire to leave.

why does super-powered come to mind for a monk race? we have a paladin race and they were underpowered.

the lightning in the bottle is just the problem there always is.
I've always wondered why Halflings, if made closer to Hobbits, dont have +2 Wis.

Sure, they are more nimble than hulking creatures by the fact that their are lite, but I dont think they are as graceful as elves or some flying creatures.

But, they are quite strong-willed, hard to scare, no-nonsense, down-to-earth, communal, good with animal handling and general bushcraft.

Sounds wisdom-y to me!
I have never seen halflings as wise more craft as let us face it they are a dex race made to be rogues.
I've been slowly converting 5e races like to the Level Up origin system lately. Its a much better way to make race/species/heritage matter.
how does it work?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
what I meant was the dwarves are not the cleric race nothing is.

fae are to people like for nature thing more along the lines of a humanity that does not seek to change its place in nature as we did just as smart and resourceful but without the desire to leave.

why does super-powered come to mind for a monk race? we have a paladin race and they were underpowered.

the lightning in the bottle is just the problem there always is.

I have never seen halflings as wise more craft as let us face it they are a dex race made to be rogues.

how does it work?
There are four parts to your characters origin, which collectively replace race and background. Heritage reflects your physical characteristics, and is divided into base traits, a choice from one of several options at 1st level, and a choice of one of several more powerful options at 10th level.

Culture is where you grew up, and usually includes skill and equipment proficiencies among other things. The standard racial cultures are there as well as more general options, but any character can be from any culture.

Background is your previous job, more or less, and is like O5e except with the addition of ASIs (+1 to something specific, +1 to anything else).

Lastly, destiny is your overall reason for adventuring, such as revenge, power, justice, etc., and gives you an alternate use for inspiration received from the Narrator when you move toward that goal. When you achieve your destiny, you get a new special ability.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
There are four parts to your characters origin, which collectively replace race and background. Heritage reflects your physical characteristics, and is divided into base traits, a choice from one of several options at 1st level, and a choice of one of several more powerful options at 10th level.

Culture is where you grew up, and usually includes skill and equipment proficiencies among other things. The standard racial cultures are there as well as more general options, but any character can be from any culture.

Background is your previous job, more or less, and is like O5e except with the addition of ASIs (+1 to something specific, +1 to anything else).

Lastly, destiny is your overall reason for adventuring, such as revenge, power, justice, etc., and gives you an alternate use for inspiration received from the Narrator when you move toward that goal. When you achieve your destiny, you get a new special ability.
interesting system what races do they presently have?

Remove ads