Why hasn't anyone mentioned this yet? (3.5)

Iced Tea

First Post
anyway im back to my unusual self. I think you should just house rule the hydra to *breaking out the MM's* have 2 more CR. but in actuality, i thinktheir basis on this decrease in CR (though a little too much IMO) was because if you look at each head, is onlly about a warrior in equality. But, if you took a 5-headed hydra, this would equate to a CR 5 creature becaus eeach head is about as tough as a 1rst level warrior, add fast healing maybe 6, i think that the head regrowing would probably just add to the EL. ( i would also rule that a downed head would count as a creature for cleave and allow them to attack only one or two other heads at most or if the head had attacked him last) it is basically to provide for the characters that have taken the improved sunder feat, though it does punish other for not. That is why God made house rules

reapersaurus

First Post
Olive said:
except they did. You now add BAB to your sense motive check against feints.
That's what I was asking/getting at.
Thanks.

Is Feint a skill, off of Bluff still?
If so, than fighters should have Sense Motive as a class skill, if it is combat-applicable, then.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I was surprised to see that a ranger's favored enemy damage bonus was precision based, but this is what it says under Environment (darkness):

—Creatures blinded by darkness lose the ability to deal extra damage due to precision (for example, a ranger’s favored enemy or a sneak attack).

But, unlike sneak attack, a ranger's FE bonus will apply at ranges of greater than 30 feet, and can be applied to undead and constructs.

And the uncanny dodge ability of barbarian/rogues is now calculated differently. Previously the rules said that a barbarian/rogue could treat her barbarian levels as rogue levels to determine how effective her uncanny dodge is.

Now it says that if a character who gets uncanny dodge as a class ability already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

In the first case you didn't have to get uncanny dodge from both classes in order to benefit- in the second case you do!

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
reapersaurus said:
Is Feint a skill, off of Bluff still?
If so, than fighters should have Sense Motive as a class skill, if it is combat-applicable, then.

Yes, it's still an aspect of bluff. I don't mind that Ftrs don't get sense motive as a class skill, given the change with BAB and feints...

The Little Raven

First Post
Emiricol said:
Intimidate is still a CHA-based skill. I'd hoped they would make it either CHA or STR, player's choice.

This opens up a big can of worms, though, because then you have to go through each individual skill and set up instances that it would work with different ability scores...

For example, there is the Craft skill (Int). You get into Craft (blacksmithing) which should have some basis in Strength as well, since you have to be pretty strong to effectively craft things from metal... but there's nothing in the rules to reflect that reality.

I think it should be left the way it is... because there's always the variant in the DMG that allows you to apply different ability scores to different skills, depending on circumstance.

FireLance

Legend
Olive said:

except they did. You now add BAB to your sense motive check against feints.

Bad move, in my view. Paladins now get Sense Motive as a class skill, so a high-level paladin who has maxed out Sense Motive will be nigh impossible to feint. I know, there will be some who see this as a feature :).

I would have preferred Sense Motive ranks plus Wis modifier or BAB plus Wis modifier plus synergy bonus of +2 for 5 ranks of Sense Motive, whichever is higher.

Bloodstone Mage

First Post
Mourn said:
This opens up a big can of worms, though, because then you have to go through each individual skill and set up instances that it would work with different ability scores...

For example, there is the Craft skill (Int). You get into Craft (blacksmithing) which should have some basis in Strength as well, since you have to be pretty strong to effectively craft things from metal... but there's nothing in the rules to reflect that reality.

I think it should be left the way it is... because there's always the variant in the DMG that allows you to apply different ability scores to different skills, depending on circumstance.

I agree with Mourn, and that the DMG variant is probably a save-all for that kind of stuff. I think it should be left the same way it is. A strong guy can be intimidating, but as chance may have it, there's some guy smaller than him that could really put on a show to scare the big guy away. You could just use whichever ability modifier is higher.
This kind of reminds me of my idea that Dexterity could be employed to things like Craft (drawing) instead of Intelligence, but it just depends on the situation, which can be widely variable.

shoplifter

First Post
Intimidate is still a CHA-based skill. I'd hoped they would make it either CHA or STR, player's choice.

How about being able to use the absolute value of the CHA modifier? That'd take care of those really scary ugly guys. Yeah, its yet ANOTHER can of worms, but I think it'd work.

Remove ads